View Profile 
R. B. Bernstein
Adjunct Professor of Political Science and History, Skadden, Arps Honors Program in Legal Studies, City College of New York [Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Law, New York Law School]
|List Affiliations:||Former Advisory Board Member for H-Law
List Editor for H-Law
Former Review Editor for H-Law
Reviewer for H-Law
Reviewer for H-SHEAR
|Interests:||American History / Studies
Law and Legal History
Political History / Studies
Born 24 May 1956 in Flushing, Queens, NY.
* Stuyvesant High School, New York, NY (graduated 1973)
* Amherst College, Amherst, MA (B.A. magna cum laude in American Studies, 1977)
* Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA (J.D., 11/1980)
* New York University (graduate study; ABD)
* New York Law School, adjunct professor of law since 1991; distinguished adjunct professor of law since 2007.
* Skadden, Arps Honors Program in Legal Studies, City College of New York, City University of New York; adjunct professor of political science since 2011.
BOOKS (selected list)
* ARE WE TO BE A NATION? THE MAKING OF THE CONSTITUTION (with Kym S. Rice) (Harvard University Press, 1987).
* ROOTS OF THE REPUBLIC: AMERICAN FOUNDING DOCUMENTS INTERPRETED (co-editor with Stephen L. Schechter and Donald S. Lutz and contributor) (Madison House, 1990).
* AMENDING AMERICA: IF WE LOVE THE CONSTITUTION SO MUCH, WHY DO WE KEEP TRYING TO CHANGE IT? (Times Books/Random House, 1993; paperback, Univ. Press of Kansas, 1995).
* THOMAS JEFFERSON AND BOLLING V. BOLLING: LAW AND THE LEGAL PROFESSION IN PRE-REVOLUTIONARY AMERICA (co-editor with Bernard Schwartz and Barbara Wilcie Kern) (Huntington Library Press and NYU School of Law, 1997).
* THOMAS JEFFERSON (Oxford University Press, 2003; paperback, 2005),
* THE FOUNDING FATHERS RECONSIDERED (Oxford University Press, 2009; paperback, 2011).
* "Jefferson and Constitutionalism," in Francis D. Cogliano, ed., A COMPANION TO THOMAS JEFFERSON (Oxford, UK, and Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012).
* "John Adams: The Life and the Biographers," in David Waldstreicher, ed., A COMPANION TO JOHN ADAMS AND JOHN QUINCY ADAMS (Oxford, UK, and Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013).
* MAKING LEGAL HISTORY: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF WILLIAM E. NELSON (co-edited, with Daniel J. Hulsebosch) (New York: New York University Press, 2013).
* AN EXPRESSION OF THE AMERICAN MIND: SELECTED WRITINGS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON (editor/introduction/headnotes) (London: Folio Society, 2013).