View Profile 
Erin B. Koenig <email@example.com>
Inter-American Institute of Human Rights
My research focuses on the relationship between social and spatial forces within an urban context, articularly as it impacts inclusion, exclusion and access to human rights and fundamental freedoms.
|List Affiliations:||List Editor for H-Urban
Ethnic History / Studies
Urban History / Studies
• European Master of Arts with Honours (2005)
Human Rights and Democratization
European Inter-University Centre
Università degli Studi di Padova (Italy) and Universitet Kobenhavn (Denmark)
• Bachelor of Arts with Distinction (2000)
Latin American Studies/Anthropology
University of Alberta
• Recipient, Human Security in Urban Spaces Graduate Research Fellowship (2006, Foreign Affairs Canada)
• Recipient, Master's Graduate Achievement Award (2005, European Inter-University Centre)
• Master's thesis awarded 'Best of Year' & selected for publication (2005, European Inter-University Centre)
• “The Right to the City: mobilizing under the emerging paradigm of urban inhabitancy”(forthcoming).
• “Reconstruction or Reconfiguration?: Surviving Identity Crises in Post-Disaster Places”, Political Geography (forthcoming).
• Human Security in an Urban Century: Local Challenges, Global Perspectives. Department of Foreign Affairs & Canadian Consortium on Human Security. Ottawa: Government of Canada, 2007.
• “Urbicide: A challenge to human security through human spaces”, Human Security Bulletin: Canadian Consortium on Human Security, December 2006.
• “The Humanity of Urbanity: Human rights between the streets and citizens of Latin America”, Revista: Inter-American Institute of Human Rights, no. 42, January – June 2006.
• “Like a Cry and a Demand” Identity, Inhabitancy And The Right To The City As steps toward building a culture of peace in Sub-Saharan Africa”, Culture of Peace Online Journal, 2005, 1(1), 40-53.
• “Architectural Apartheid & Urban Cleansing: The Politics of Space and Structure in Human Rights Discourse”, EMA Awarded Thesis 2004–2005, Venezia: Marsilio Editori Srl.
• “You say you want a cultural revolution”, Edmonton Journal Weekend Supplement, 22 Apr 2007.
• “An Eye on Democracy”, Amnesty International Alberta, Nov-Dec 2005.
• “Making Poverty History”, Amnesty International Alberta, Sept-Oct 2005.
• “The Abnormal Normal: Urban Terrorism in London” Edmonton Journal Weekend Supplement, 13 Aug 2005.
• “Human Rights and Wrongs”, Edmonton Journal Weekend Supplement, 20 Nov 2004.
• “Bullets or Ballots: Voting in Northern Ireland”, Edmonton Journal Weekend Supplement, 28 Nov 2003.
• “Canada and the Arbitrary Detention of Asylum Seekers”, submitted to the United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights. Pre-departure briefing document for the Working Group Mission to Canada, 2 February 2005.
• Session Coordinator, “Planning for Peace: Respect, Rights and Responsibilities in Urban Design”, United Nations Global Youth Assembly, Edmonton, August 2007. (upcoming)
• Poster Presenter, “Understanding Public Health in a Pre-Pandemic World: Environmental Scanning as a Policy and Planning Tool”, XIX IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion and Health Education, June 2007.
• Presenter, “Organizing in the City: the emerging paradigm of the right to the city ”, Researching Contemporary Cities Post-Graduate E-Conference, Worldwide Universities Network, Manchester, November 2006.
• Presenter, “Cities and the Territorialization of Identity Politics”, Royal Geographical Society Annual International Conference, London, 31 August – 1 September 2006.
• Panelist, Human Security in Urban Spaces Conference, Department of Foreign Affairs & Canadian Consortium on Human Security, Vancouver, 8-9 June 2006.