View Profile 
Guillaume P. De Syon <email@example.com>
refereed publications listed. For all other work, please download cv at
- “Astronauts and Cosmonauts into Frenchmen: Understanding Space Travel Through The Popular Weekly Paris-Match,” in Michael J. Neufeld, ed. Key Moments in Human Spaceflight. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, forthcoming.
- “Bringing the Aerial News: Loving and Dreading of the Flying Machine through Postcards, 1890-1914.” In Nathalie Roseau and Marie Thébaud Sorger, eds., La culture aérienne. Forthcoming.
- “Did You Learn Your Strip: The History of France as Comic Fad in the 1970s,” in Annessa babic, ed. Comics as History, Comics as Literature: Roles of the Comic Book in Scholarship, Society, and Entertainment. Forthcoming.
- “The Femal Flier as national Icon in Interwar France,” in Alison Moore, ed. Sexing Political Culture in the History of France. London: Cambria Press, 2012.
- “Between Balloon and Moon: Visions of Space Travel in Francophone Comic Strips,” in Alexander C. T. Geppert, ed. Astrofuturism. New York, NY: Palgrave, 2012.
- “Is it Really Better to Travel Than to Arrive? Airline Food as a Reflection of Consumer Anxiety,” in Lawrence C. Rubin, ed., Food for Thought: Essays on Eating and Culture. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2008.
- “The Teardrop That Fell from the Sky: Paul Jaray and Automotive Aerodynamics.” ITEA Journal 29 (March 2008).
- “’Comment se mouvoir en l’air’ ou la réinvention du dirigeable de Meusnier à Zeppelin,” in Liliane Hilaire Pérez et al, eds., Les archives de l’invention. Toulouse, France: Presses du CNRS/Series “Méridiennes. Histoire et techniques,” 2007.
- “Lufthansa Welcomes You: Air Transport and Tourism in the Adenauer Era,” in Jonathan Wiesen et al, eds., in Advertising and German Modernity. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2007.
“Soyez unis pour votre ville”: Walter Kolb et la reconstruction touristique de Francfort après la seconde guerre mondiale,” in P. Duhamel, R. Knafou, eds., Mondes urbains du tourisme. Paris, France: Belin, Series “Mappemondes,” 2007.
- “Yes, One may caricature God.” French Secular Culture and the Limits of Cartooning,” in Bernhard Debatin, ed., The Cartoon Debate and the Freedom of the Press:Conflicting Norms and Values in the Global Media Culture // Der Karikaturenstreit und die Pressefreiheit:Wert- und Normenkonflikte in der globalen Medienkultur. Muenster, germany: LIT verlag, 2007.
- “Engines of Emancipation? Women’s Flying Clubs before World War II,” in B. Waibel and H. Vogel, eds., Die Schwestern des Ikarus: Frau und Flug. Marburg, Germany: Jonas Verlag, 2004.
- “What the Wrights Wrought,” invited review article, Technology and Culture, 45, 2 (April 2004): 350-357.
- “Don’t read those ‘toons! French Comics, Government Censorship, and Perceptions of American Military Aviation,” in Contemporary French Civilization 28, 2 (2004): 274-292.
-“Consuming Concorde,” invited comment, Technology and Culture 44, 3 (July 2003): 650-654.
- “The Child in the Flying Machine: Inspiration and Hatred in the First World War,” in Children and War: A Historical Anthology, James Marten, ed. New York, NY: New York University Press, 2002: 116-134.
- Zeppelin! Germany and the Airship, 1900-1939. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002; Korean edition, 2005; paperback edition, 2007.
- “Zwischen High-Tech und Kavallerie: der Lunéville-Zwischenfall vom April 1913,” Zeppelin Wissenschaftliches Jahrbuch 2001. Friedrichshafen, Germany: Zeppelin Museum, 2001: 40-53.
- “Bangs and Whimpers: The German Public and Two Zeppelin Disasters, 1908-1937,” in Ray B. Browne and Arthur B. Neal, eds., Ordinary Reactions to Extraordinary Events. Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 2001: 172-181.
- “The Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen,” Technology and Culture 40, 1 (January 1999): 116-121.
- Contributing Editor, The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Volumes 8A & 8B, The Berlin Years: Correspondence 1914-1918, R. Schulmann, A. J. Kox, M. Janssen and J. Illy, eds. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1998.
- “PostCARds: Spreading the Good Word about the Automobile during the Belle Époque,” Image File (Journal of the Curt Teich Postcard Archives) 9, 3 (1997): 1-7.
- “Target Practice on a Swiss Balloon,” Over the Front (Journal of the League of World War I Aviation Historians) 9, 1 (Spring 1994): 81-82.
|Address:||History dept., Masters Hall
13th and bern streets
Reading, Pennsylvania 19612-5234
|Secondary Phone:||610 921 7822|
|Fax Number:||717 392 7497|
|H-Net Positions:||Reviews Planning Committee
|List Affiliations:||Former Advisory Board Member for H-Antisemitism
Review Editor for H-Travel
Reviewer for H-German
Reviewer for H-War
|Interests:||Social History / Studies
Boston University, Boston, MA
Ph.D. in Modern European History with Minor Field in Asian History, January 1994.
Dissertation: “The Socio-Politics of Technology: The Zeppelin in Official and Popular Culture,
1900-1939,” directed by Dietrich Orlow.
George Washington University, Washington, DC
M.A. in International Affairs, with Concentrations in Comparative Politics and Asian Studies, May 1989. Thesis: “The Dragon and the Crossbow: An Overview of Sino-Swiss Relations,
1949-1989,” directed by Harold C. Hinton.
Tufts University, Medford, MA
B.A. in Political Science and German Literature, May 1987.
East China Normal University, Shanghai, P.R.C.
Certificate of Study in Law and Trade Program, Summer 1986.