View Profile 
Gerald C. Mazarire <email@example.com>
Midlands State University
Shona Oral Traditions and Pre-Colonial Polities, Environmental History, Land and Restitution ,History of Liberation Movements in Southern Africa and International Solidarity
|Address:||P Bag 9055
Gweru, Southern Africa 263 (4)
|Primary Phone:||303211 Ext. 1235|
|List Affiliations:||Review Editor for H-SAfrica
Reviewer for H-SAfrica
|Interests:||African History / Studies
DPhil in History (UZ)
MA in African History (UZ)
BA Hons in History (UZ)
1. G.C. Mazarire: ‘Of Spelling Errors and Historical Distortions Oral Traditions Concerning the Identity of Maziriri. The Svikiro of the Chivi People’ Zimbabwea No. 11 (December 1999).
2. G.C. Mazarire: ‘Where Civil Blood Made Soldiers Hands Unclean; Rethinking, War-time coercion in Rural Rhodesia: Reflections on The Chivi Experience 1976-1980’ Journal of African Conflict and Development, Vol.1, No. 1, (2000).
3. G.C. Mazarire & M.R. Rupiya ‘Two Wrongs Do not Make A Right: A Critical Assessment of Zimbabwe’s Demobilization and Reintergration Policies Since 1980’. Journal of Peace, Conflict and Military Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2000
4. G.C. Mazarire ‘Ethical Considerations for Zimbabwean Archives and the Digital Challenge’ Innovation no.24, June 2002
5. G.C. Mazarire ‘The Politics of the Womb: Women Politics and the Environment in Pre-Colonial Chivi: Southern Zimbabwe c. 1840-1900’, Zambezia vol. XXX, no.1 2003
6. G.C. Mazarire ‘The Social basis of ‘Evil’ in Pre-Colonial Zimbabwe With Particular reference to the Practice of Killing Twins among the Karanga’ Chiedza: Arrupe College Journal vol.5 no.2 December 2002
8. G.C. Mazarire Oral Traditions as Heritage: The Historiography of Oral Historical Research on the Shona Communities of Zimbabwe’ Historia vol.47 no.2 November 2002
9. G.C. Mazarire: ‘Changing Landscape and Oral Memory: Towards a Historical Geography of Chishanga, South-eastern Zimbabwe’ Journal of Southern African Studies vol. 29 No.3 September 2003
10. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Defence Consciousness as Way of Life: ‘The Refuge Period’ and Karanga Defence Srategies in the 19th Century’, Zimbabwean Prehistory no. 25, 2005.
11. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Memories and Contestations of the Scramble for Zimbabwe: Chivi (Mashonaland) c.1870-1892’, in Femi J. Kolapo and Kwabena Akurang-Parry eds. African Agency and European Colonialism: Latitude of Negotiation and Containment (University Press of America, Inc., Forbes Boulevard, August 2007)
12. G.C. Mazarire, ‘The Dutch Reformed Church in the Victoria Circle: Mashonaland 1874-1956’, Heritage of Zimbabwe, no. 26, (2007)
13. G.C. Mazarire, ‘A Little England in Chishanga’: The Fate of a British Empire Leprosarium at Ngomahuru, Southern Rhodesia 1925-1946’, African Historical Review 39, no. 2 (2007).
14. G.C. Mazarire, “The Chishanga Waters Have Their Owners’: Water, Politics and Development in Southern Zimbabwe’ Journal of Southern African Studies vol. 34 no. 4 (2008)
15. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Reflections on Pre-Colonial Zimbabwe, c.850-1880s’ in B. Raftopolous & A. Mlambo (eds.) Becoming Zimbabwe: A History from the Pre-colonial Period to 2008 (Weaver Press, Harare, 2009), p.1-38.
16. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Rescuing Zimbabwe’s “Other” Liberation Archives’ in C. Saunders (ed.) Documenting Liberation Struggles in Southern Africa (Nordiska Afrikainstutet, Uppsala, 2010), p. 95-106.
17. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Discipline and Punishment in ZANLA 1964-1979’, Journal of Southern African Studies vol. 37 no. 3 (2011) p. 571-591.
18. G.C. Mazarire; ‘Reading Chishanga: Some issues of Process and Method’ in P. Ngulube (ed.) National Archives 75@ 30:&5 Years of Archiving Excellence at the National Archives of Zimbabwe (Harare, National Archives of Zimbabwe, 2012)
19. G.C. Mazarire & N. M. Bhebe, ‘Paying the Ultimate Price’: Zimbabwe and the Liberation of South Africa 1980-1994’ in South Africa Road To Democracy: Regional Solidarity Volume (SADET/Unisa Press, Pretoria, 2013)
20. G.C. Mazarire, ‘The Gadzingo: Towards a Karanga Expansion Matrix in 18th and 19th Century Southern Zimbabwe’ Critical African Studies 5: (1) (2013) 4-16.
21. G.C. Mazarire, ‘ZANU PF and the Government of National Unity 2009-2012’ in B. Raftopolous (ed.) The Hard Road to Reform: The Politics of Zimbabwe’s Global Political Agreement (Weaver Press, Harare, 2013), pp.71-116.
22. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Carl Mauch and Some Karanga Chiefs Around Great Zimbabwe, 1871-72: Re-Considering the Evidence’ South African Historical Journal 65 (3) (2013) 337-364.
23. G.C. Mazarire & S.Swart, ‘The Pots on Our Roads: The Diaspora Fleet and Harare’s Urban Commuter System’ African Diaspora (7) (2014) 63-88.
24. G.C. Mazarire & N.M. Bhebe, ‘Zimbabwe’s Liberation Struggle’ in A.J. Temu & J. das neves Tembe (eds.) Southern Africa National Liberation Struggles vol. 5 (Mkuki naNyota Publishers, Dar e salaam, 2014)
25. G.C. Mazarire, ‘Doing Zimbabwean History with Terence Ranger: A Personal Note’ Journal of Southern African Studies vol. 41 no.5 (2015) pp.1115-1122.
26. G.C. Mazarire, N.M. Bhebe &T.M. Mashingaidze, ‘Introduction’ National Healing and Reconciliation in Zimbabwe (MSU Press, Gweru, 2016).
27. G.C. Mazarire, ‘The Burrowed Earth: Rodents in Zimbabwe’s Environmental History’ Critical African Studies vol. 8 no.2 (2016) pp.1-27.
28. G.C. Mazarire, ZANU’s External Networks 1963-1979: An Appraisal’ Journal of Southern African Studies 43 no.1 (2017) pp. 83-106.