Drake University, History
African American History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Iowa, United States|
|Position:||Tenure Track Faculty|
The History Department is excited to launch this search for a tenure-track assistant faculty member. This is a 9-month appointment beginning in August 2024.
We are seeking a dedicated teacher and insightful scholar with expertise in and a passion for African American History. Offering African-American History is essential to the continued social and academic relevance of Drake’s curriculum.
Courses our selected candidate can anticipate teaching include, but are not limited to:
- African American History to 1877
- African American History Since 1877
- African American History through Popular Films
- African American History as Public History
- African American Political Thought
We know from prior semesters that these courses are popular among our students and have been consistently filled.
The typical semester course load in history is 3/3, with a 2/3 load in the first year/fall semester for tenure-track hires without credit toward tenure.
The search committee is particularly interested in candidates who, through their research, teaching, and/or service, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
- Ph.D. History or ABD in History with planned completion by May 2024.
- Experience working with underrepresented populations.
- Demonstrated experience teaching undergraduates.
- An active (or promising) research program in African-American History or a related field.
- An interest in exploring opportunities for cross-departmental collaboration in teaching, research, and service.
Review of Applications Begins:
For full consideration, apply by October 15, 2023. The position will remain posted until filled.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please complete the online application and attach (1) a cover letter, (2) CV/Resume, (3) a 1-2 page diversity statement, and (4) three letters of recommendation.
Please do not attach additional documents at this time. Supplemental documents may be requested or required of semi-finalists and finalists.
All job offers are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check, satisfactory reference checks, and proof of authorization to work in the United States.
Questions about this position can be directed to the search chair, Professor Matthew Esposito at email@example.com.
Questions about the application process, working at Drake, spouse/partner support, reasonable accommodations, benefits, or additional information about Drake or Des Moines, Iowa may be directed to Drake Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||African American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Black History / Studies