Occidental College, History
RAY BILLINGTON VISITING PROFESSORSHIP IN UNITED STATES HISTORY/the AMERICAS History Department
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
We are seeking a distinguished historian of the United States/the Americas who will split the 2024-2025 academic year between Occidental College and the Huntington Library. Scholars working in comparative and transnational frameworks are welcome to apply. The position includes office space at both the Huntington and Occidental, a stipend of between $100,000-$120,000 (depending on rank), and other generous benefits.
In addition to researching the Huntington’s collections, the Billington Professor teaches one intermediate or advanced class per semester in the Occidental History Department, ideally courses that complement existing course offerings.
Associate and Full Professors from any college or university (excepting those in the greater Los Angeles area) are invited to apply.
1. Requisite training & expertise in the history of the United States/the Americas. According to the terms of the Billington Fund, applicants must be Associate or Full Professors in the fields of the United States/the Americas and not a resident of the greater Los Angeles area.
2. Quality of research proposal and fit with Huntington Library archives.
3. Have record of effective teaching, specifically: (measured by student evaluations and course proposals)
a. evidence of inclusive teaching pedagogy and/or effective teaching in diverse populations.
b. Evidence of experience teaching in relatively small and interactive classrooms
c. Evidence of being able to teach at both intermediate and advanced levels of undergraduate instruction (level 200 and 300).
4. Relationship of proposed courses and areas of specialty to the History Department offerings and existing faculty.
5. Record of scholarly research and publication.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, research proposal for the Huntington, course proposals for Occidental courses, evaluations of undergraduate teaching, and three letters of recommendation by email to Alannah Isherwood, Swan Hall Coordinator at email@example.com, “Attention: Billington” in subject heading.
All materials are due by Thursday November 9, 2023. For more details, please see our web page: https://www.oxy.edu/academics/areas-study/history/billington-visiting-professorship-us-history.
|Primary Category:||American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||African American History / Studies
Asian American History / Studies
Black History / Studies
Environmental History / Studies
Ethnic History / Studies
History of Science, Medicine, and Technology
Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies
Native American History / Studies
Political History / Studies
Rural History / Studies
Women, Gender, and Sexuality