Teaching Faculty Positions in Philosophy
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Lecturer, Non-Tenure Track Faculty|
Westlake University is a new type of non-profit research-oriented university in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, the People's Republic of China, supported by public and private funding. At Westlake, we strive for excellence in advanced research and nourish talented change-makers while remaining small and refined to ensure research and education quality.
Our three schools, the School of Science, the School of Life Sciences, and the School of Engineering, focus on selected natural and life sciences and engineering disciplines, emphasizing interdisciplinary collaboration. Our goal is to cultivate talented generations of researchers (or thinkers) that dare to step into the unknown and pursue their social responsibilities.
Westlake University is currently accepting multiple applications from high-level talent for teaching faculty positions in the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (HASS) to develop the University's liberal arts curriculum, expand the university's professional teaching force in HASS fields, establish a high-quality teaching system aligned with the University's mission and goals, and provide students with opportunities beyond their major field in science and engineering to develop the dispositions, knowledge, skills, and abilities that they need for a lifetime. The specific job responsibilities and qualifications are as follows:
Open Rank, Non-tenure Track Full-Time Teaching Faculty Positions in Philosophy
- Deep understanding of professional ethics and sense of dedication in teaching which aligns with Westlake University's missions and goals; sincere passion for teaching courses in Philosophy; extensive theoretical and practical experiences in higher education.
- Ability to design and deliver a creative liberal arts curriculum.
- A Ph.D. degree in Philosophy, or a closely related field obtained from a leading Chinese or international university. Special consideration can be granted to candidates with extensive experience teaching university-level liberal arts courses for students doing science and engineering.
- Applicants with overseas education/teaching experience and competence in bilingual teaching (English and Chinese) are preferred.
- Strong communication (writing and public speaking) and interpersonal skills.
- Develop global-standard curricula that can fulfill the requirements of liberal arts education in select areas of the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.
- Teach liberal arts courses to doctoral and undergraduate students in science and engineering fields.
- Ensure sufficient office hours for student advising.
- Organize or participate in other teaching-related and cultural activities on campus.
These are full-time teaching faculty positions open at three distinct ranks: Lecturer(equivalent to Assistant Professor), Associate Professor, and Professor. The length of the contract is typically fixed to three years. There is the possibility of renewal, potentially over several years.
Your teaching load will depend on the real requirements of each term, but 12 class hours (45 minutes per class hour) per week in each academic semester will be the maximum.
Westlake University offers an internationally competitive salary, an attractive benefits package, and comprehensive insurance coverage.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS:
To apply, please send the following documents in English as a single PDF file to email@example.com :
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching statement describing your teaching philosophy
- Course description and syllabus for a proposed HASS undergraduate course
- A list of at least three professional references with complete contact information
Please indicate “HASS (Philosophy)-Applicant’s Full Name-Information Source” in the email subject line and the attachment titles.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Outstanding short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews. Interviews will continue until all positions are filled.
Westlake University will cover your interview travel cost, including travel expenses between your residence city and Hangzhou as well as the accommodation fees. Online interview is also optional.
Westlake University is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals of all ethnic backgrounds and countries.
No. 600 Dunyu Road, Sandun Town, Xihu District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang PR ChinaPost code：310030
No.18 Shilongshan Road Cloud Town, Xihu District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang PR ChinaPost code：310024