Uppsala University, Hugo Valentin Centre
Postdoctoral position in Holocaust and Genocide Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Uppsala University, The Hugo Valentine Centre
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
Uppsala University, Department of History
The Hugo Valentin Centre (HVC) is an interdisciplinary unit at the Department of History, Uppsala University, with a particular focus in the field of Holocaust and genocide studies. Research is conducted in a markedly interdisciplinary research environment that brings together researchers with a background in history and philosophy, language studies and social sciences.
This announcement concerns a three-year position in Holocaust and genocide studies.
A postdoctoral fellow’s duties consist mainly of research, but also some administration and the task of applying for external research funding in the field concerned. The position requires continuous attendance at the Centre, active participation in seminars, ongoing presentation of the fellow’s research and, where necessary, some teaching and supervision of students or other tasks corresponding to up to 20% of the position.
To qualify for employment as a postdoctoral fellow, you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in the humanities or social sciences, but also the personal qualification necessary for the position. The degree must be completed no later than at the time when the employment decision is made. Those who have graduated no more than three years ago should be prioritized for the position. The deadline for submitting the application is used as a starting point when calculating the period of three years. If there are special reasons, such a degree may have been taken earlier. The three-year period can be extended due to circumstances such as sick leave, parental leave, duties in labour unions, etc. Excellent skills in both oral and written English are required for the position.
The application will be assessed by the scientific quality of the project proposal, and the applicant's qualifications. Projects in the domain of the social sciences (excluding history) will be considered particularly meritorious.
The application must contain the following items
- A curriculum vitae and attested copies of certificates and other documents referred to in the application.
- A list of up to five academic works (including the dissertation either in published or manuscript form) cited in the application. The publications should be uploaded as pdfs and rank-ordered according to their relevance for the application.
- An up to five pages long project proposal must be enclosed with the application. It should contain a clear aim description of aims, an account of how the project contributes to the international state of the art in the field; a discussion regarding method; and a precise schedule for project implementation. How the planned project is connected with current research at the Centre and/or contributes to the renewal of its activities, and how the applicant intends to present the results, should also be clearly stated.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position of 3 years according to central collective agreement. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 2023-04-01 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala.
For further information about the position, please contact: Roland Kostic on phone 018-471 5731, or email email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 31 march 2023, UFV-PA 2022/4703.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Type of employment Temporary position
Contract type Full time
First day of employment 2023-05-01 or according to an agreement
Salary Fixed salary
Number of positions1Full-time equivalent100%
- Seko Universitetsklubben, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ST/TCO, email@example.com
- Saco-rådet, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date 31.Mar. 2023 11:59 PM CEST
For further information about the position, please contact: Roland Kostic on phone +46 18-471 5731, or email email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 31 march 2023, UFV-PA 2022/4703
|Primary Category:||Holocaust, Genocide, and Memory Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Political Science