University of Arizona, Spanish & Portuguese
Assistant or Associate Professor of Practice, Spanish & Portuguese
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Arizona, United States|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor|
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Arizona invites applications for a Professor of Practice in Spanish (non-tenure eligible) at the Assistant or Associate rank to begin in August 2023. The position requires expertise in the successful administration of online language programs at the college level.
The Spanish & Portuguese Department offers the undergraduate minor and major completely online (asynchronous) with 15 and 7.5 week options. The successful candidate will supervise and further develop and grow the Department’s online degree program. Candidates should have a commitment to the active retention and recruitment of undergraduate Spanish majors and minors. The candidate will work closely with colleagues in the College of Humanities to develop systems for program assessment of the online language program and will work directly with those coordinating the university-level plan for online education.
This is not a remote position. As such, the successful candidate will be expected to work at the Main Campus in Tucson, AZ.
The candidate will contribute to university initiatives focused on fostering diversity and inclusive excellence, enhancing student engagement, and mentoring students, including those from underrepresented communities.
This career-track appointment is not eligible for tenure.
Alumni Jacquelynn and Bennett Dorrance have made a gift commitment of $5.4 million to endow the deanship of the University of Arizona College of Humanities to bring the humanities to the forefront of the University of Arizona's life and mission through a continuous and fearless spirit of open inquiry: https://humanities.arizona.edu/about/fearless-inquiries-project
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for
the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise, develop, and grow the Spanish & Portuguese Online Language Program.
- Actively participate in efforts to recruit majors and minors.
- Train and mentor online teaching assistants, lecturers, and instructors in theories and teaching methodologies for the online environment.
- Teach undergraduate Spanish classes online and in-person as needed.
- Conduct professional development workshops as needed.
- Participate in Departmental and College-wide activities such as Convocation, Welcome Back receptions, Homecoming, Commencement, Tucson Humanities Festival, and support the mission and purpose of a Hispanic Serving Institution.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and ability to mentor first-generation and heritage language learners.
- Demonstrated skill in online teaching and administration.
- Superior communication and collaboration skills.
- A Ph.D. in Spanish or a related field at time of appointment.
- Working knowledge of theories of language learning and pedagogy.
- Demonstrated experience in online teaching, instructional design, and program development at the college level.
- Demonstrated strategy to student recruitment and retention.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. in Hispanic linguistics, second language acquisition, applied linguistics, or a related field are especially encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated experience with the design and administration of in-person language programs.
- Demonstrated record of student recruitment and retention, and language program growth.
- Demonstrated record of sustained engagement in professional development in best practices in online education.
Mary Portillo 520 621 1983 or email@example.com