Arkansas State University, Criminology, Sociology, & Geography
Department Chair - Criminology, Sociology, & Geography
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Arkansas, United States|
The Department Chair needs to be motivating, organized, and supportive. The Chair leads and manages departmental faculty and staff. They are responsible to their respective Dean for the general management and operation of their academic areas.
The Chair represents the department to the Dean and university administrators, supports faculty in their scholarship and professional development, and works with faculty to improve instructional programs and to develop programs that are responsive to the changing needs of students. Some administrative experience at Chair, Assistant Chair, or Program Director is preferred, though applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluating and recommending faculty members to the Dean of their college for employment, retention, promotion, tenure, non-renewal, and dismissal
- Encouraging and sustaining scholarship, research, grant activity, and participation in professional activities by members of faculty in alignment with A-State’s R2 status.
- Supervising other personnel in the department
- Preparing and administrating departmental budgets
- Coordinating curricular development; strategic planning; outreach and recruitment; alumni audience and donor relations; and service activities while demonstrating a commitment to excellence in teaching
- The standard teaching load for department chairs is two courses per academic semester
- Other duties as assigned
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Ph.D. in Sociology or Criminology
A tenured appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor
Please note: all position postings close at 12:00 A.M. CST on the position closing date
Arkansas State University is a comprehensive R2 public university located along Crowley’s Ridge approximately 70 miles northwest of Memphis. The CSG department offers a well-rounded curriculum to approximately 300 majors in its BA programs in Sociology and Criminology and also offers courses in Geography. The department possesses two graduate programs—an MA in Sociology and an MA in Criminology and Criminal Justice. Each of the undergraduate programs is available in traditional and on-line modalities.
Review of applications will begin immediately and those received by the 11:59 p.m. CST January 12, 2023 deadline will receive full consideration. For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Justin Castro, email@example.com
Arkansas State University does not discriminate on the basis of color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, age, national origin, religion, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or disability in any of its practices, policies or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, employment, admissions, educational services, programs or activities which it operates or financial aid.
Contact: Dr. Justin Castro or Dr. Kellie Buford
Phone: (870) 972-3705