Rice University, Program in Jewish Studies
Anna Smith Fine Lecturer in Jewish Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Texas, United States|
The Program in Jewish Studies at Rice University in Houston, Texas, invites applications for the Anna Smith Fine Lecturer in Jewish Studies. Scholars from all fields of Jewish Studies will be considered; however, the Program is particularly interested in scholars specializing in Jewish literature; Holocaust studies; Jews of the modern Middle East; and Jewish ethics and philosophy.
The successful candidate will carry a track record of significant undergraduate teaching experience, as well as experience teaching in non-academic settings.
Rice University is a private, comprehensive research university located in the heart of the dynamic Museum District in Houston, Texas, the nation’s fourth-largest city. Houston’s Jewish community is large and diverse, with institutions representing the full spectrum of Jewish cultural and religious life.
The appointment will begin 07/01/2023. This is a full-time position, benefits eligible, with a 3-3 teaching load. The initial contract is for two years and renewable upon successful reviews.
- Teaching a variety of Jewish Studies courses on the undergraduate level, including introductory courses and upper-level seminars
- Advising undergraduates on the minor in Jewish Studies, fellowship opportunities, and summer projects.
- Serving as faculty sponsor for the Jewish Studies Student Association
- Working with Jewish Studies faculty and staff on various outreach programs on campus and in the Houston community.
- Writing for and editing the Rice Jewish Studies newsletter and webpage.
- Participating in professional development.
- Ph.D. in any academic field pertaining to Jewish Studies. All requirements for the degree must be completed by June 30, 2023.
- Cover letter
- Two class syllabi or lesson plans
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Most recent student evaluations (from courses taught within the past three years)
- Three references: names and contact information only. Please do not send any recommendation letters at this point.
Priority will be given to applications received by January 15, 2023.
Application link: https://apply.interfolio.com/118071
Professor Matthias Henze, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Primary Category:||Jewish History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Digital Humanities
Ethnic History / Studies
European History / Studies
Holocaust, Genocide, and Memory Studies
Immigration History / Studies
Islamic History / Studies