National University of Singapore, Communications and New Media
[Tenure Track] Assistant / Associate / Full Professor in Strategic Communication
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Full Professor|
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is a leading research-intensive university (http://www.nus.edu.sg/) that is consistently ranked among the world’s top universities. Established in 2004, the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM) (http://www.fass.nus.edu.sg/cnm/) is a leader in communication and new media research and education. It offers undergraduate, honours and PhD programmes in communications and new media studies, with an innovative curriculum that introduces students to key debates in the areas of media studies, communication management, interactive media design and cultural studies. Its curriculum provides students with practical skills in social media management, user interface design, and digital marketing. Its students undertake industry immersion through its compulsory internship programme.
CNM also offers an undergraduate double degree with the School of Business; undergraduate minors in Interactive Media Development and Cultural Studies, the Cultural Studies in Asia PhD programme, and a new Master of Social Science in Communication programme. It has research concentrations in media and publics, critical theory, cultural studies, communication policy, computation and creativity, health communication. Successful candidates for these positions will join an engaging community of 46 full-time faculty, 13 part-time instructors, and approximately 800 undergraduate and graduate students.
We seek applicants with expertise and cutting edge research in strategic communication that includes one or more of the following areas: PR/corporate communication, risk and crisis communication, organizational communication, advertising & marketing communications, public diplomacy, digital/social media for strategic communication.
Candidates with previous industry experience in public relations and marketing communications are strongly encouraged to apply.
Successful candidates must have a PhD in Communication or a closely related discipline by date of appointment; evidence of sustained research in high impact factor journals and excellent teaching; experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds including international students as well as adult and professional learners in both online and face-to-face classrooms.
Candidates will also have evidence of excellence in both research and teaching, and demonstrate leadership in their fields commensurate with rank.
If hired at a senior rank, responsibilities will include departmental research leadership, attracting research funding, mentoring junior and mid-level faculty.
Full-time faculty teach 110-140 hours (averaging 3 courses) per academic year. Other duties include supervision of honours students and graduate students, and administrative service. The anticipated start date is July 2023 earliest.
Successful talented early career candidates with excellent research track records will be considered for the National University of Singapore Presidential Young Professorship (NUS PYP) scheme which includes a start-up research grant up to SGD 750,000 including scholarships to hire PhD students, and an award of SGD 250,000 for discretionary spending.
Candidates are required to submit a complete set of application dossier for full consideration.
- NUS Personal Data Consent Form for Job Applicants (Download file via link - nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf)
- Full CV, including education, professional background, teaching and supervision, research activities and achievements, honours and awards, and service accomplishments to date. List all academic and non-academic positions. Name and contact of your PhD Supervisor. All PhD and postdoctoral supervisors or any other senior authors with close and regular collaborations (full name and institution) should be listed.
- University service. List and elaborate on the impact of service to the Department, Faculty and/or University, particularly where there are impactful leadership.
- Public and Professional Service. List and elaborate on the impact of service to the international academic community, profession/industry, and national/international agencies.
- Scanned Copies of all degree certificates.
- Diversity Statement
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of teaching philosophy and methodology. Where available, evidence of teaching ability such as student feedback or peer review reports should be provided. Evidence of other contributions to education, e.g. curriculum development, pedagogical innovation, production of teaching material, should be provided were available.
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of major accomplishments in research, citing up to five significant publications, creative work or other scholarly contribution, and explaining their significance. Sample copies of these contributions should be provided (in the case of books, reviews should be provided).
- A research plan (3-page) with a proposed start-up research budget and utilisation plan.
- A complete list of publications, grouped according to papers, books, and reviews, including page numbers, in bibliographic form.
- Citation (excluding self-citations and in the case of co-authored work, cross-citations) and impact analysis of research output, highlighting papers with the highest citation counts, and creative works with high impact.
- A list of SIX external reviewers recommended (names, contact details, applicant's relationship to them). These external reviewers should preferably not be close collaborators or the applicant's PhD/post-doc supervisor.
Shortlisted candidates are to arrange for the letters to be submitted prior to the campus visits. For full consideration, please submit a complete application. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Further information about working at the National University of Singapore is available at http://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/whyjoinus.htm.
For further enquiries, please email: email@example.com