Doha Institute for Graduate Studies, School of Social Sciences and Humanities
Assistant/ Associate Professor of History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor|
Brief description of DI:
The Doha Institute for Graduate Studies (DI) was founded in Qatar in 2015 as a Doha-based independent institution of higher education. The Institute offers MA and PhD programs in two schools: the School of Social Sciences and Humanities and the School of Economics, Administration and Public Policy. The Institute adopts a student-centred approach to learning, promotes interdisciplinary research, and uses Arabic as the primary language of instruction, with fluency in English a requirement. DI aims to graduate researchers and practitioners who can advance knowledge and better the human condition, while upholding the highest scientific, professional and ethical standards. It provides advanced leadership-focused training that emphasizes the competencies necessary to satisfy the region's needs in sustainable development and intellectual advancement. The Institute upholds the guiding principles of academic freedom and emphasizes the values of integrity and professionalism.
Brief Description of Program:
The History program seeks to form a new generation of researchers in the field of Arab and Islamic history. It trains them to critically use and analyze diverse sources, whether local, regional or international, and engage with current historiographical debates and new methodological approaches. The program seeks to enable its students to contribute to the production of historical knowledge from a critical perspective.
The History program offers diverse courses, including methodologies, historiography, and techniques for reading archival documents. They cover various aspects of the history of the Mediterranean, the Arab region, the broader Muslim world and modern and current history.
The history program at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies seeks to hire an Assistant/Associate Professor specializing in medieval Islamic history. Priority is given to those interested in the history of the Arabian Peninsula and to candidates who are proficient in the Arabic language and/or have a special interest in research and practice in the Arab world.
The new hire is expected to be competent and experienced in:
- Teaching specialized courses in medieval Islamic history, in Arab and Islamic Historiography, and reading historical manuscripts and archives.
- Publishing research papers in refereed journals and/or reputable academic publishing houses.
- Supervising MA and PhD students in history participating fully in the academic life of the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies.
- Carrying out administrative duties in the program, school, and institute.
Qualifications and Experience:
Candidates are expected to have
- Doctoral degree in History
- experience in graduate student supervision, and with a good record of publications.
- be fluent in both Arabic and English
- The Doha Institute encourages female faculty to apply to this position
- Ability to obtain external support/ funding to carry out research.
- Ability to undertake impactful research
- Ability to engage in knowledge exchange and transfer.
- Willingness to engage in collaborative research with other members of the Program or/and the Institute (across different programs and disciplines).
- Teaching experience in History
- Ability to teach in Arabic at the graduate level
- Commitment to high quality teaching and the fostering of positive learning environment for students.
- Participation at Committees at the Program, School and Institute levels
- Commitment to work as part of a team and to assist in the smooth running of the Program
For full consideration please provide
- A Letter of Application, (2) A Curriculum Vitae, (3) Research Statement, (4) Samples of publications, (5) Teaching Statement and evidence of teaching effectiveness (syllabi, student evaluations, etc.), (6) Copies of University degrees, (7) Three names and contact information of referees who can provide letters of recommendation, (8) Additional material may be requested at a later stage
All documents should be submitted to the vacancy listed on DI’s career page:
For further inquiries about the job, you may contact the Head of Program Professor Issam Nassar email@example.com
The deadline is January 16, 2023
The Doha Institute for Graduate Studies offers internationally competitive salaries and benefits commensurate with rank and experience, and the opportunity for promotion across ranks, according to performance.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Doha Institute for Graduate Studies
|Primary Category:||Middle East History / Studies