University of Wollongong, School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Health
Associate/Assistant Professor – Digital Media
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||United Arab Emirates|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor|
The University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) is one of the United Arab Emirate's oldest and most prestigious universities. Established in 1993 by the University of Wollongong in Australia - currently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world – UOW in Dubai represents a pioneering Australian initiative in the Gulf region.
The School of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Health (SHSSH) at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) invites applications for a full-time position in Digital Media at the rank of Associate/Assistant Professor (Rank is dependent on experience and qualifications).
About the Program:
UOWD has two media programs – an Undergraduate – Bachelor of Communication and Media (BCM)and a Postgraduate – Master of Media and Communication (MMC).
The BCM program is relatively new and dynamic with four specializations: 1.) Digital & Social Media; 2.) Visual Communication Design; 3.) Screen Media Production; 4.) Marketing, Communication & Advertising. First and foremost, the BCM program is a process based, media making and media design program. The focus is on practice-based team work, and preparing students for careers in the media industry. The MMC program has recently undergone significant restructuring in terms of content and focus in order to address the needs of students and professionals facing an ever-changing industry and innovative emerging media practices. These programs follow the approach of teacher as facilitator, rather than teacher as lecturer. Courses are designed and taught as a collaborative experience between facilitator and student. This process-based, facilitator approach to teaching and learning is expected from all faculty members.
Both programs are fully accredited by the Ministry of Education in U.A.E. and in Australia. We have a good relationship with the home campus and are now finding opportunities to collaborate globally with Australia and two other campuses. In addition, we have recently moved to a brand-new campus with the latest technology and classroom design for student centered learning. This position is a key hire and the candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the development and ongoing growth of both BCM and MMC programs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The successful candidate will join the university for the start of the Autumn 2022 trimester, and will demonstrate strong evidence of exceptional work within the digital media space, with a minimum of three years of professional experience, alongside post-secondary teaching in the field of digital and social media. Candidates are expected to share documented evidence of not only their teaching and approach to teaching and learning, but also their experience practicing digital media design and content production (creation, curation, aggregation). Candidates should be equally fluent in process-based media making, design discourse and studio practice and in balancing the conceptual, aesthetic and technical demands of the discipline.
Ideal candidates should have an approach that is both conceptually and formally strong, and preference will be given to candidates with expertise in at least one of the following areas:
• Game design, game media & game development; cyber cultures and haptic interfaces
• Digital media design principles; interaction design for 2D and 3D environments/platforms
• Web 3 development & design
• Social Media video design, platform design & interaction, and human-centered design principles
• Must be committed to engage in teaching and research in the field of digital media and media design, emerging technologies and the Media and Communication discipline
• Must work effectively in interdisciplinary design teams on curriculum focusing on ethical design practices addressing cultural, socio/political, and sustainability issues
• Should be comfortable teaching in a studio/lab setting, utilizing emerging technologies and tools, emphasizing creative practice, design, and experimental techniques/processes
• Possess advanced proficiency with digital design software, programs and applications, such as Adobe Creative Suites, Unity, Maya, Unreal, among others
• Terminal degree (MFA/PhD) in Digital Media, Media Arts, Media & Communication, or related field.
• Four Years of Teaching Experience at Bachelor Level or above
• A portfolio of work demonstrating industry experience in digital content creation, production, curation, and aggregation, digital design, platform design, and user experience design
• Strong interest in working collaboratively across disciplines
• Strong commitment to a progressive emerging media arts/design education and a keen interest in industry developments
Background Check Required
Applicants please provide the following. Applications that are not complete will not be reviewed.
1. Cover Letter – include a description of Research, Training and Teaching experiences
2. Narrative Curriculum Vitae (Narrative CV can be in video/audio format) For video/audio submission, please provide a link to the narrative CV.
3. Names and contact information of at least three references from previous employers, supervisors, or professional clients. Please do not send contact details of friends or co-workers.
4. Digital Portfolio – Provide a link to an online portfolio specifically curated for the search committee. Work/projects should demonstrate process-based, quality media work/projects. Work should be separated into two categories – work by you, the candidate, and student work from previous classes taught.
5. Philosophy of Teaching Statement
Please Note: Successful Applicants will be asked to prepare a teaching demo.
Compensation & Benefits:
The successful candidate will enjoy interaction with a professional dynamic team of highly respected educators from 35 different countries and exposure to students from over 120 nationalities.
The University offers an expatriate package which is an attractive tax-free salary. The expatriate package includes six weeks of paid leave per year, private medical insurance for employee and eligible dependents, life and disability insurance and education allowance for dependents. The University is located in Knowledge Village, Dubai and has excellent teaching, learning and research facilities as well as a Library that meets international standards.
Interested applicants must apply before the closing date by visiting our employment website at http://employment.uowdubai.ac.ae. A review of applications will begin after the closing date and will continue until the position(s) are filled.
Closing Date: 31st May 2022, or until the position is filled
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences