Chinese Language Scholar
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Oregon, United States|
|Position:||Other Professional, Other Teaching|
REED COLLEGE LANGUAGE SCHOLARS PROGRAM - 2022-2023 ACADEMIC YEAR
Reed College invites applications for a part-time Chinese Language Scholar position expected to begin on August 15, 2022. The position will span the 2022-23 Academic Year.
As a Language Scholar, your primary affiliation with Reed College will be as a staff member; however, you will have responsibilities as both student and educator. Your responsibilities include the following, not to exceed 25 hours per week for areas (1) and (2) combined:
1. as a Teaching Assistant
- Support language learning in various classes and conversation groups.
- Assist faculty in grading language assignments.
- Organize and participate in extracurricular activities with students.
- Conduct weekly conversation tables.
2. as a Language House staff member
- Partner with the House Advisor to develop a lively educational environment conducive to the study of the Chinese language and culture in the House.
- Organize cultural events in the Chinese Language House (weekly or biweekly), in collaboration with the HS, and on-campus (once per semester).
3. as a Student
- Must enroll in one course of your choice each semester. (The college will waive tuition and fees. You will enroll in your Fall semester course during Orientation.)
In the Language House, you will be supported by the Residence Life team, the Director of Residence Life for Residential Education, an Area Coordinator, and a House Advisor. The House Advisor is an upper-level student who will help you establish and maintain an educational environment in the house and assist with cultural event planning.
2022-23 FUNDING FOR LANGUAGE SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Housing: You will be assigned a private room in a Language House (dorm) on campus
Board: You will receive board plan B for all of your meals on campus.
Insurance: You will receive a health insurance policy so that you will have access to on-campus and off-campus medical care.
Computer: You will also be assigned a laptop and printer to use.
Travel: The college will pay the cost of a US round-trip travel to and from Reed College.
Stipend: The college will pay you a total of $8,900.00 for this position, to be paid in stipends of $468.42 twice monthly.
Applications must be sent to Dr. Alberto del Río Malo, Director of International Programs, at http://apply.interfolio.com/106465, before May 29, 2022, and must include:
- A Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Curriculum Vitae
Preference will be given to candidates with a Master's degree or higher in Chinese literature, Chinese language pedagogy, Chinese history, or other related fields.
For questions regarding the position, please contact the International Programs Office at email@example.com
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.
International Programs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Secondary Categories:||Chinese History / Studies