Editor-in-chief, part-time, for online journal
The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus announces a search for an editor to work with an active and experienced editorial board
This is a three-year part-time contract position (about 20 hours per week) with some flexibility and an opportunity for the right candidate to edit this vibrant online publication. We are offering $20,000 a year to the successful candidate (or small group of candidates). The new editor can be based anywhere in the world and is expected to work from their own location; all editorial meetings are held online and most communication is done via email, telephone or zoom.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated commitment to free and critical scholarship
- Broad familiarity with the Asia-Pacific region and a network across disciplines
- An active scholarly profile
- Editorial and management skills and experience
- Ability to collaborate with authors and editors
- Organizational and communication skills; facility with our internet presence a plus.
- Provide editorial leadership of the journal in cooperation with the editors
- Identify, solicit and screen materials for the peer-review process
- Oversee the review process for authors, editors and translators
- Work with an active and experienced editorial board on issues spanning the historical and contemporary Asia-Pacific.
- Chair editorial board meetings and follow up on the board’s recommendations
- Help oversee the financial and business sides of the Journal and coordinate fund-raising
The editor coordinates the activities of a team of editors and contributing editors in shaping the directions of the journal and supervising the peer review process.
The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus is a peer-reviewed on-line publication providing critical analysis of the forces shaping the Asia-Pacific and the world. The Journal, with 17,000 subscribers and a larger group of readers who follow us on Facebook and Twitter, explores the geopolitics, economics, history, society, and culture of the modern and contemporary Asia-Pacific.
We look forward to receiving expressions of interest in, and questions about the journal, the role of the editor-in-chief, and the terms of service.