Shambhala and Snow Lion Publications, Editorial
Acquisitions Editor Specializing in Buddhism
|Location:||Colorado, United States|
Acquisition Editor, Buddhist Books
This position is primarily responsible for acquiring 12-15 book projects on the area of Buddhism (with an emhasis on Tibetan Buddhism) and overseeing the developmental editing of a similar amount of projects per year. These books should align to the Company’s Mission and Vision.
- Responsible for commissioning new projects and evaluating submitted proposals.
- Stay current in subject areas and trends in the field to identify potential new authors. Reach out to possible new authors by phone and email.
- Assist authors in concepting and developing a proposal (and possibly sample material) that meet reader and market needs.
- Pitch new projects to the Publisher, Executive Team and Editorial Board.
- Prepare a P+L statement for each book.
- Make an offer to Author/agent. Negotiate advance, royalties, length, images/visuals, timing, etc.
- Work closely with authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Developmentally edit or oversee the developmental edit of manuscripts, including big-picture content, organization, what is missing, what makes sense, etc.
- Prepare manuscript for the production process with Assistant/Associate editors. Guide the manuscript throughout the production process.
- Provide input on title, cover, and interior design. Create cover copy.
- Solicit endorsements for the book.
- Launch projects internally to Marketing, Publicity, Production, and Editorial Teams.
- When needed, seasonally present lead titles to Penguin Random House.
- Act as the liaison to the Author, supporting, educating, problem-solving, etc. Relay feedback and issues from other departments. Editor serves as the main point of communication with the Author.
- Attend meetings as needed, including Editorial meeting, Title meeting, Cover meeting, Launch meetings, Marketing and Publicity meetings, all-office meetings.
- Occasionally will attend conferences and off-site meetings.
- Understand market trends, conduct frequent market research
- Good knowledge of the industry
- Content expertise in the subject areas the Company publishes into, including Buddhism and other religious traditions.
- This position requires strong connections within Buddhist practice communities and teachers, as well as in the Buddhist Studies world. A basic knowledge of Tibetan language is a plus but not required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent project management skills
- Some general presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Skilled in developmental editing
- General problem-solving skills
- Ability to adhere and meet tight deadlines
- Handles unique and challenging problems on a regular basis
- Understands finances of book acquisition and factors that contribute to overall profitability
- BA degree in related area
- Master’s degree beneficial but not required
- 5+ years industry experience or equivalent (e.g., 5+ years of editorial work in academia or another related context)
Salary range: $41,596-$83,193
|Primary Category:||Religious Studies and Theology
|Secondary Categories:||East Asian History / Studies
South Asian History / Studies