|Location:||California, United States|
84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha (www.84000.co) invites applications for the full-time position of Research Editor, starting March 1, 2022.
The Research Editor will join our growing team of scholars engaged in translating the Tibetan Kangyur and Tengyur into English. We are looking for a scholar who has a passion for studying Buddhist canonical scriptures in their source languages, yet who also values the importance of translation within the larger field of Buddhist Studies.
We offer competitive terms and conditions that resemble general academic research professor positions (including paid holiday, medical and pension benefits, and conference participation). The Research Editor can work from home, and work hours can be scheduled to suit the personal preferences of the editor. A significant part of the work (50%) is also reserved for conducting research on topics of personal interest to the editor.
84000 is a 100-year project (currently in its thirteenth year), so we are looking for scholars who value long-term professional relationships and thrive in a friendly and stimulating research environment. 84000 has already published translations of more than 190 texts from the Kangyur on our website, where they can be freely accessed. Translation of the Tengyur is currently being initiated, and this activity will also expand over the coming years.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD degree in a related field
- Native fluency in English
- Proficiency in both classical Tibetan and Sanskrit (and/or Buddhist Chinese)
- Strong familiarity with Buddhist canonical literature
- Knowledge of living Buddhist cultures
Personal Qualities and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Openness, humor, tolerance, and patience
- Tact, diplomacy, and discretion
- Good organizational skills
- Able to work effectively in teams
Terms and Conditions
- This is a full-time position
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and skills
How to Apply
Interested persons should email their Curriculum Vitae and letter of application to the Editorial Committee at 84000 (email@example.com).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
84000 Editorial Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Primary Category:||Religious Studies and Theology