Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Curatorial (ICAA)
ICAA Digital Experience Specialist
|Location:||Texas, United States|
Works with the Director and Associate Director of the International Center for the Arts of the Americas (ICAA) at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston to develop, apply, and maintain cutting-edge and interactive applications for the ICAA’s digital platforms. The Digital Experience Specialist is responsible for managing and producing digital content for the ICAA’s website (icaa.mfah.org), Documents of Latin American and Latino digital archive, e-communications, social media accounts, and other digital spaces. The Digital Experience Specialist is also responsible for designing and implementing strategies for the ICAA’s digital presence in accordance with the Center’s mission. Collaborates with museum staff and other stakeholders to ensure a high-quality digital experience across all platforms.
- Manages and creates digital content for the ICAA website. Ensures a regular rotation of dynamic and interactive content across the site.
- Monitors the ICAA website traffic and implements content changes based on these analytics. Creates weekly and monthly reports.
- Assists with changes and improvements to the ICAA website as needed. Ensures that all website copy (English and Spanish) is accurate and up to date.
- Manages user accounts and monitors any fraudulent account activity. Responds to user queries from the ICAA email account.
- Troubleshoots minor site errors.
- Internally responsible for maintaining the ICAA’s back-end database and web platforms for content, applications, development, and integration. Liaises with MFAH IT and contract programmer to report and resolve incidents involving either platform.
- Interacts with the ICAA’s external database and web developer to ensure a seamless user experience.
- Oversees all aspects of ICAA social media channels including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Generates clear, user-focused content consistent with the ICAA’s mission.
- Creates and maintains a social media calendar.
- Monitors the ICAA’s online presence and reports trends and feedback.
- Keeps abreast of trends and activity of similar institutions or organizations. Formulates and implements strategies for expanding the ICAA audience.
- Develops and monitors all ICAA digital experiences when featured in museum exhibitions.
- Generates e-blasts and other promotional materials. Collaborates on the production of such materials with partner institutions as needed.
- Advises the Associate Director on digital content trends, related platforms, and delivery strategies for interactive content; identifies creative means for repurposing existing content.
- Assists the ICAA Associate Director and Research Specialist in the production of the Working Papers series and other digital publications.
- Assists the ICAA Director, Associate Director, and Research Specialist with administrative tasks when
- Performs any other related duties as required by the ICAA Director and or Associate
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Fluency in Spanish and English is a requirement. Reading and verbal knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.
- Knowledge of best practices for creating, formatting, and presenting textual, graphic, and A/V content for web and digital media
- Understanding of cross-browser issues and mobile app platforms is
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office is required.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Omeka S, or similar Content Management Systems is
- Web programming experience is helpful. Working knowledge of HTML is desirable.
- Background and interest in digital archives and/or Latin American and Latinx art, history, or culture is desirable.
- Ability and aptitude for collaborative and team-based work. Flexibility and willingness to navigate changing work flows within the department and with partner institutions
- Capable of setting priorities, organizing large loads of work, multi-tasking, and working with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience:
- A digital media specialist with a background in the field(s) of digital communications, web content and social media management, graphic design and/or visualization.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field strongly preferred but we may consider an equivalent combination of extensive and directly related experience and education from which comparable and demonstrable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- MA preferred
- Previous work experience managing websites, social media accounts, or other digital platforms.
- Familiarity with new digital tools that may enrich and expand existing ICAA
About the MFAH
The MFAH is an organization comprised of 600+ employees and 1,000+ docents and volunteers. The museum is more than 100 years old and ranks nationally among the top 10 art museums in exhibition space, memberships, endowments, and attendance, with 1M visitors annually. Our multifaceted institution includes multiple gallery buildings, a sculpture garden, two art schools, and two house museums for decorative arts. The encyclopedic collection numbers more than 65,000 works of art in a wide range of media.
Work may be performed in varied environments and conditions. Physical demands may also vary. Work may involve extended sitting and computer use.
Work and Culture at the MFAH - Benefits Offered
- Medical, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- MFAH Retirement Savings Plan (403b)
- Flexible Spending Plans
- MFAH/Metro Commuter Subsidy Partnership
- Paid Time Off, Reserve Time Off, Volunteer Time Off, Holiday Pay
- Museum Membership and Discounts
The MFAH has extensive COVID mitigation protocols in place to provide for a safe working environment, including:
- Masks required;
- Plexiglas partitions for staff members who do not work in offices;
- Temperature checks at entrances;
- Onsite COVID testing for staff who work in close contact with colleagues or visitors;
- Sanitizing stations
Equal Opportunities for All
At the MFAH, we believe that diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusivity are fundamental to our organization. We welcome all candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our organization and to our pledge for workplace diversity, inclusion, and excellence.
Our commitment to our policy and practice of nondiscrimination represents more than good intentions. It provides for employment decisions that are made without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law or any other reason unrelated to your ability to join and contribute to our organization and support our mission to provide a museum experience for all.
The MFAH is equally committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals interested in employment with the organization. As part of this commitment, we want to ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation needed to 1) participate in the job application or 2) interview process; 3) perform essential job functions; and/or 4) participate in the benefits and privileges of employment with the MFAH. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact the human resources department: HR@mfah.org
|Primary Category:||Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies