Northern Arizona University, History
Assistant Professor of History/Social Studies Secondary Education
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Arizona, United States|
The Department of History consists of 14 full-time faculty members, 11 of whom are tenure-track or tenured. We are a community of historians dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, and service. We use history to empower scholars, students, and the public at large to use critical thinking and communication skills to expand curiosity, creativity, compassion, tolerance, and integrity in our diverse and ever-changing world. We have around 300 undergraduate majors (fall 2021), one-half of whom major in History and Social Studies Education, as well as an active Master’s program.
The Department of History at Northern Arizona University invites applications for a tenure-track position in history/social studies secondary education. The successful applicant will also serve as the program’s director. Responsibilities include teaching history and social studies methods courses in the BS Ed History/Social Studies program, supervising student fieldwork placements, maintaining program assessments for CAEP accreditation, building collaborative relationships with Arizona social studies teachers, and coordinating pre-service and in-service teacher workshops. The candidate is also expected to conduct an active program of research and scholarship in the fields of teaching and learning, history education, and/or the history of education.
Northern Arizona University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that values cultural and intellectual diversity and strives to become the nation’s leading university serving Native Americans. We share an institutional commitment to the advancement and success of Native American, Black, and Latinx students, as well as to support efforts promoting justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. in history, history/social studies education, or closely related field conferred by appointment date.
- One year of secondary history/social studies teaching experience.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity and working with underrepresented populations, including Hispanic and Native American students;
- Two or more years of secondary history/social studies teaching experience
- Knowledge of the needs related to public education;
- Evidence of strong research agenda;
- Evidence of scholarly engagement in the field of teaching and learning;
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness;
- Ability to offer history content courses to augment department curriculum at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Evidence of potential for contributing to a dynamic social studies teacher preparation program and K-20 collaborative partnerships, such as conference presentations, curriculum development, teacher collaborations, grant writing, and/or public and digital humanities, and the social skills to work with a variety of people.
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student’s success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
To apply for the position, please visit https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/current-job-openings/.
|Primary Category:||History Education