Austrian Academy of Sciences, Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia (IKGA)
PhD Student Position in ERC funded project "The Dawn of Tibetan Buddhist Scholasticism (11th-13th c.)"
The Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia (IKGA) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), the largest non-university institution for basic research in Austria, is seeking to fill a
PHD STUDENT POSITION (F*M)
(part-time, 30h per week)
The successful candidate will contribute to TibSchol’s sub-projects on early scholastic networks and the early Tibetan scholastic corpus by collecting and analyzing data from different types of historical sources.
• Master’s degree in the field of Tibetan or Buddhist studies
• Particular interest and experience in textual studies
• Excellent knowledge of classical Tibetan
• Very good command of English (written and spoken)
• Demonstrated familiarity with Tibetan scholastic and/or historical literature
Candidates for the position are expected to:
• Enroll in the doctoral curriculum of Tibetan and Buddhist Studies at the University of Vienna (candidates already enrolled at another university may be considered provided that employment criteria of the Academy can be fulfilled)
• Conduct their research as (part of) their doctoral dissertation
• Present research results at workshops and international conferences, and to publish
• A part time position for a period of three years (starting 1 March 2022 or soon after this date)
• An annual gross salary of € 31,326.40 according to the collective agreement of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (social and health insurance included)
The successful applicant is expected to take up residence in Vienna, a city consistently rated as having a particularly high quality of life. As part of the international team of the TibSchol project, they will find attractive working conditions at the IKGA, a well-established and dynamic research institution.
Questions regarding the position can be addressed to the principal investigator, Pascale Hugon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please send your application materials as a single PDF document to the project manager, Hermine Huber (email@example.com), indicating the Job ID IKGA125DOC221 in the heading. Applications should include a cover letter explaining your research interests and motivation for applying, a full CV, a research proposal sketching a possible dissertation project (ca. 3–5 pages), one letter of recommendation, and contact details of two additional referees, a copy of degrees and transcripts and a list of publications (if applicable) and a download link to a writing sample (including the MA thesis).
The closing date for applications is December 15, 2021.
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. The OeAW lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies