Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, Art History
Assistant Professor, Early Modern Art History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
This full-time, 9-month position is at the rank of Assistant Professor, is non-tenure-eligible, and begins July 10, 2022*
VCUarts Qatar (https://qatar.vcu.edu/) seeks an art historian specializing in the arts of the early modern period (circa 1400-1800) to teach undergraduate courses in support of the Bachelor of Arts in Art History curriculum. Preference will be given to candidates whose research and teaching focus on historical interactions between indigenous and colonial societies in a transnational and/or transoceanic context. Within this framework, we are particularly interested in candidates specializing in the arts of Africa or the Americas. Research intersections with Islamic visual culture are welcome but not required. We especially invite candidates engaged in the study of visual and material cultures that involve issues of power, race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, and/or class.
VCUarts Qatar’s Art History Program is based on the curriculum offered to students pursuing the corresponding degree on our main campus of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Virginia. It is the only undergraduate degree program of its kind in the Gulf region and offers a distinctive concentration in Islamic art within a global perspective. It shifts a Western-oriented curriculum prevalent in most university Art History programs to one that encompasses a multicultural and global approach. VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in an inclusive environment and strongly encourages applications from all racial, ethnic, gender, and social identities.
· PhD in Art History or a cognate field.
· Two years or more of teaching as instructor-of-record within an English-language university.
· Demonstrated establishment of a research agenda and clear potential for external funding.
· Demonstrated commitment to academic service within university and professional organizations.
· Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
· Must have strong collaboration skills, and demonstrate enthusiasm toward teaching and interacting within a multicultural environment as a faculty member at VCUarts Qatar.
· Experiential learning through lived experiences and/or professional service that inform perspectives about minority group status to include race, age, ethnicity, gender, religion, and disability.
· University teaching experience in an ESL context outside of North America or Europe.
· Grounding in current theoretical, methodological, and pedagogical discourses within the discipline.
Only electronic applications submitted via the VCU Jobs Website will be accepted. For best consideration, completed applications are due by Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Questions about the application process should be directed to Tasia Robinson, HR Administrator at email@example.com; questions about the position may be directed to the program director Dr. Radha Dalal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History
|Secondary Categories:||Early Modern History and Period Studies