Phillips Exeter Academy, History
|Institution Type:||Preparatory School|
|Location:||New Hampshire, United States|
The History Department at Phillips Exeter Academy seeks to hire a full-time instructor beginning in the 2022-2023 academic year. Candidates with expertise in Asian History are encouraged to apply. Secondary field is open, but teaching experience in US history and familiarity with this field is desirable. An advanced degree in the subject field is required with teaching experience preferred.
For full consideration for the position, candidates must submit a cover letter, CV, transcripts, and a one-page statement explaining the candidate’s teaching philosophy and experience in supporting a socially and economically diverse student population. The Academy is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering an equitable, diverse and inclusive community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Experience and enthusiasm for working with adolescents both inside and outside of the classroom is essential. Spending time with students giving extra help, advising, working as dormitory faculty, and leading extracurricular activities is an integral part of the job.
In addition to a CV, applicants should submit a cover letter and/or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at a residential high school that is actively committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members include the following:
- Teaching: Faculty teach four classes per trimester. All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for one weekend and one to three week nights of dormitory duty per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising: Faculty are expected to serve as mentors to student advisees throughout students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s family/guardian and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- Experience teaching in a classroom setting for a minimum of 2 years.
- Diversity or cultural competency education (conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study.
- Willingness to enforce all school policies and rules governing student behavior.
- Proof of authority to work in the United Stated, full time.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check, renewed every 5 years.
- Clean Driving record.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment health screen
If interested, please apply on our website: https://exeter.edu/about-us/career-opportunities
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||American History / Studies