Dixie State University, Humanities
Assistant Professor of History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Utah, United States|
The Department of History, Humanities and Modern Languages at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor, specializing in US History, starting Fall Semester 2022. The goal of the DSU History program is to train students to investigate complex problems, identify reliable sources, analyze information, and communicate conclusions in a clear and thoughtful manner through advanced writing skills. More information about the department, faculty, and its degree offerings can be found online at https://history.dixie.edu/.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year in general and advanced US History courses.
- Assist in the growth of the bachelor’s degree program in history.
- Perform defined faculty duties, including holding office hours, attendance at department and division meetings, and adherence to college, division, and university policies and procedures.
- Provide regular institutional service as outlined in regent and university policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in US History, with a major concentration in early American history and/or 19th Century. A minor concentration in Public History, Transnational, Latin American, Middle Eastern or African American History is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in successful teaching, be technology literate, willing to teach one or more courses online and/or in a blended format; finalists will be required to demonstrate competence through a teaching demonstration.
- Demonstrated ability to provide educational leadership; excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to mentor undergraduate students pursuing research experiences, and an eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff, and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of students.
- Commitment to academic excellence and exceptional services, with proven effectiveness in allocating and managing sources, utilizing computer-related technologies to enhance education methodology, and proficiency in curriculum design, program administration, program evaluation, instruction, student guidance, and academic counseling.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Faculty service begins August 2022, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2022. Annual salary of $55,000 - $58,000, depending upon qualifications & experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, etc. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins November 15, 2021; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com, HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org, 435-652-7731.
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit https://titleix.dixie.edu/ or contact:
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com, 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Application review begins November 15, 2021; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
|Primary Category:||History Education