University of Minnesota - Minneapolis, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Lecturer and Director of Chinese Language Program
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Minnesota, United States|
|Position:||Lecturer, Non-Tenure Track Faculty|
The Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Minnesota seeks an excellent instructor of Chinese language with skills in pedagogical innovation and leadership. The Director supervises a program of 4+ instructors and reports directly to the Chair of the Department. The Director joins five other language program Directors in the Department. Responsibilities include:
- Ability to teach all levels of Chinese
- Leadership of the Chinese program
- Coordination of curriculum and teaching assignments, including summer session instruction
- Development of materials as needed
- Supervision of graduate teaching assistants and new teacher training
- Annual Evaluation of teaching staff
- Collaboration with other language programs and faculty members within the department, and with other units (CLA Language Center, CARLA, Chinese Flagship Program)
- Professional development
- Program website oversight
- Outreach to community
Required qualifications for appointment to rank of Lecturer:
- Ph.D. or foreign equivalent in the relevant field, or a related field.
- In the case of language instruction, skill in the language of instruction as appropriate for the position; in the case of modern languages, native or near-native fluency.
- Positive evaluations from students, peers, and/or supervisors.
- Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching and program development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive evaluations from students, Teaching Assistants (if appropriate), peers, and supervisors.
- Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching, program development, and professional development.
- Effective handling of student inquiries.
Position begins Fall semester 2022. Minimum annual salary is $55,000+ depending on qualifications and experience.
Applicants should submit the following materials on the UMN employment website for job ID 341455: (1) cover letter, (2) CV with the names of 3 references, (3) statement of teaching and leadership philosophy, and (4) three sample syllabi. Application deadline: November 1, 2021.
For more information about the Department of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, please visit https://cla.umn.edu/asian-middle-eastern-studies
|Secondary Categories:||Chinese History / Studies