International Christian University, Department of Society, Culture and Media
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor of Communication, Media, Language and Society
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Full Professor|
International Christian University (ICU) is a private, bilingual university that provides a first-class liberal arts education in a culturally and religiously diverse international community of students, faculty and staff. ICU’s educational mission is based on Christian and democratic principles. ICU has approximately 3,000 students and over 150 faculty members from Japan and overseas. The university is located on a wooded campus in the suburbs of Tokyo.
We are pleased to announce an open search for a full-time faculty position in the Department of Society, Culture and Media with a particular focus on Communication, Media, and Language and Society. The successful applicant is expected to teach general education, foundation, and area major courses in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as courses in the Graduate School.
Rank: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in Communication Studies, Media Studies, Sociolinguistics, or a related field is required.
2. Motivation to carry out innovative interdisciplinary research and liberal arts education in response to rapid social changes.
3. Language of instruction: English (Knowledge of Japanese or willingness to learn Japanese is desirable.)
4. Christian (of any denomination). In exceptional circumstances, a non-Christian who affirms ICU's Christian ideals and commits to realizing them may be considered
Deadline for Applications: Applications and supporting materials must be submitted no later than September 15, 2021 (JST). (Deadline may be extended until an appropriate candidate is found.)
Starting Date: September 1, 2022
Term of Employment:
1. Assistant Professor: Tenure-track position for an initial five-year term. (The term may be shortened to three years, depending on previous experience). If tenure is approved at the end of the term, the position will be made permanent and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor will be granted.
2. Associate Professor & Professor: Employment until the mandatory retirement age of 65
1. Salary: in accordance with ICU employment regulations
2. Allowances: available, in accordance with ICU employment regulations (e.g. commuting allowance)
3. Working hours: in accordance with ICU employment regulations
4. Social insurance: coverage by Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools of Japan (PMAC), workers’ compensation, etc.
Application and Selection Process
1. Register your application online. https://business.form-mailer.jp/fms/77dc0223147750
2. Submit all the application materials online as described below.
3. After documentary screening, short-listed candidates will be requested to give a lecture and will be interviewed.
Notification of Decision: Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. List of Academic Publications (Do not submit actual publications unless requested.)
3. Name and contact information of three academic referees and one church minister/leader who can testify to the applicant's commitment to Christianity. We will approach your referees as necessary. (In the case of non-Christian applicants, please include within your cover letter a statement on your affirmation of ICU's Christian ideals and your commitment to realizing them. In this case, a pastoral reference is not necessary.)
4. Cover letter describing why you are applying for the position.
URL for Uploading:
*ICU has a contract with Dropbox Education with high security. You do not need a Dropbox account to upload files. Ignore an email message automatically transmitted by Dropbox, notifying the completion of file uploading.
Format : PDF
Size : Less than 3 MB (per file)
Combine the documents into one file if possible.
File name : Family name_All (e.g. Smith_All)
*If it is not possible to combine the documents into one file, name the files as follows.
If online submission is not possible, please write to the contact person below.
Personal information will be treated with confidentiality.
Contact Address: 3-10-2 Osawa, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo 181-8585, JAPAN
Contact Person: Prof. Joo-Young Jung, Chair, Department of Society, Culture and Media
|Secondary Categories:||Journalism / Media Studies