Cambridge Muslim College, BA Islamic Studies
BA Lecturer in Islamic Studies validated by The Open University
Cambridge Muslim College provides world-class education and research rooted in the rich intellectual and spiritual heritage of the Islamic tradition and responsive to the circumstances of the modern world. Further details about the College can be found here: http://www.cambridgemuslimcollege.ac.uk.
The post of Lecturer is for delivery of the College’s BA in Islamic Studies, validated by the Open University. This is a unique programme combining an in-depth study of traditional Islamic disciplines through their primary sources with a study of modern disciplines that equip students to engage with faith and modernity.
The College is seeking an outstanding candidate to join its faculty with a specialization in at least one of three areas: (1) Qur’anic studies, (2) Hadith studies, (3) Islamic theology (4) Islamic law. Within their area of specialization, candidates must show a strong grasp of traditional Islamic studies ( e.g. tafsīr, naqd and muṣṭalaḥ al-ḥadīth, kalam and falsafa) and of contemporary discussions and developments as pertain to these disciplines.
The post-holder is expected to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Teach on the BA and other programmes including preparing and teaching modules, devising and assessing coursework and examinations.
- Engage in teaching, research and administrative tasks with approximate time-division of 40%, 30%, 30% respectively between the activities.
- Engage in original research in one’s area of specialization by preparing papers, journal articles, book chapters and/or monographs for peer-reviewed publication
- Act as a Personal Tutor to students to support their overall intellectual and personal development.
- Participate as a member of the Faculty Board, including contributing to student assessment and the administration of external validation partnerships.
- Support the work of the College by engaging in activities that further the College’s mission including participation in public events, lectures, and community engagement.
- Hours: Full-time/37.5 hours per week
- Location: Cambridge, UK
- Salary: £36,000 - £42,036 P.A depending on qualifications and experience
- Start Date: August 1, 2021 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
- Tenure: Three years in the first instance, subject to a probationary review at the end of the first year.
- The college will support a Tier 2 Visa application to work in the U.K
- A Doctorate degree
- Expertise in traditional Islamic Studies
- Teaching experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills relevant to the administrative elements of the role
Applications will be viewed on a 'rolling' basis. Applications must be sent in writing and include,
1. C.V including email address and telephone number.
2. Cover letter including details of the applicant’s area of specialization, research agenda, reasons for applying and any relevant experience.
3. Teaching philosophy and evidence of teaching excellence;
4. Three references, including at least one academic. References should be sent separately to the College using the details below.
All enquiries concerning the post, applications process, and all application materials, should be sent to CMC HR, either by post to:
Cambridge Muslim College, 14 St. Paul’s Road, Cambridge CB1 2EZ
By email (PDF attachments only) to email@example.com
Deadline for all applications materials to reach the College is May 30, 2021
|Primary Category:||Islamic History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Classical Studies
Religious Studies and Theology
Arabic History / Studies