Assistant Professor in LatinX and/or ChicanX History with Preference for Public History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
The History Department at California State University, Sacramento invites applications for a probationary, tenure-track Assistant Professor in LatinX and/or ChicanX History to begin Fall 2021. ABDs in History or a related field are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will teach LatinX and/or ChicanX history. The department’s strong preference is for candidates who are also able to teach Public History. Additional teaching requirements include undergraduate survey courses in US history, historical methods seminars, and undergraduate and graduate seminars. Additional position requirements include:
• engaging in research and scholarly activity related to LatinX and/or ChicanX history,
• supervising undergraduate and graduate research in LatinX and/or ChicanX history, which may include public history
• advising majors,
• serving on department, college, and university committees,
• and applying professional expertise to community service, including a willingness to advance Sacramento State’s Anchor University initiative.
Sacramento is the state capital of California and one of the most diverse cities in the nation. Sacramento State is a Hispanic Serving Institution with a strong commitment to fostering the success of students at many stages of their life and academic journey through resources such as the Dreamer Resource Center, College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), and first-generation student initiatives. As the heart of the region’s higher education community, Sacramento State is dedicated to access, academic excellence, and inclusion.
The History Department seeks candidates with the ability to work with diverse students and colleagues. Applicants are requested to submit a diversity statement that demonstrates experience with or willingness to:
• develop and incorporate effective teaching strategies for a diverse group of learners;
• create an equitable and inclusive learning environment to support all student success; and
• advance the History Department’s goal of promoting an anti-racist and anti-oppressive campus to recruit, retain, and mentor students.
The PhD in History or a related field must be completed by August 15, 2021. Review of applications will begin April 23, 2021; position open until filled.
Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State job website located at https://csus.peopleadmin.com/postings/5299.
Candidates must upload the following attachments with the electronic application:
1. a cover letter addressing teaching and research;
2. a curriculum vitae, including contact information (phone and email) for 2 references;
3. a teaching portfolio including syllabi and a statement of teaching philosophy;
4. a diversity statement (see description above);
5. a representative example of scholarly work
6. graduate transcripts (unofficial accepted, official required for interview).
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S., California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
For questions about the position or application procedure, contact the Department Chair, Dr. Jeffrey Wilson, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Clery Act statistics available.
|Primary Category:||Chicana/o History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Public History