|Location:||California, United States|
The San Diego Museum of Art
Position Title: Research Assistant
Department: Curatorial Affairs and Education
Reports To: Curator of South Asian and Islamic Art
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
The Research Assistant will assist the Curator of South Asian and Islamic Art in planning the summer 2024 exhibition Wonders of Creation: Art, Science, and Innovation in the Islamic World with scholarly research and exhibition administration. The Research Assistant will contribute to this international loan exhibition intended to reach a wide audience, and the first major exhibition on Islamic visual culture in San Diego. Working closely with the curator, museum staff, and external lenders, donors, and scholars, this is an opportunity to gain firsthand experience in exhibition planning and general curatorial practice, including methods of display and interpretation, as well as knowledge of object storage, handling, installation, and conservation techniques. Currently approved for one year with potential for extension.
Duties and Responsibilities involve assisting the Lead Curator with
- Development of exhibition checklist
- Conducting research on potential loans, exhibition themes
- Organizing the accompanying publication
- Administration of loans and related travel
- Organizing and participating in advisory workshops and meetings with consultants
- Conceiving and organizing supplemental and public programming
- Label writing
- MA in Art History, History, History of Science, or Islamic or Middle Eastern Studies, or related field
- Reading knowledge of Arabic and/or Persian preferred
- Knowledge of Islamic visual and material culture, or science
- Two years museum experience preferred, with some experience of exhibitions or collections administration
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented
- Eagerness to work both independently and collaboratively in an innovative manner
- Ability to take initiative, work well under pressure, and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and respectful of diversity
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and in writing. At ease corresponding with multiple individuals representing American and international private and public collections or research institutions.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point) and collections databases (i.e., EmbARK, TMS, etc.)
- 75% time spent sitting at the computer
- The position requires time working outside the Museum; may involve considerable time sitting or standing; and some climbing of stairs and reaching.
- Ability to work remotely if necessary in accordance with state and county pandemic guidelines in response to the Covid-19 virus
- Office space may be shared
- When working at the office, noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, Research Assistant, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History
|Secondary Categories:||Islamic History / Studies