University of Freiburg, Research Training Group (DFG-Graduiertenkolleg) "Empires: Dynamic Change, Temporality and Post-Imperial Orders"
6 Three-Year PhD-Positions (TV-L E 13, 65%, November 1, 2020–October 31, 2023)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Funded by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft), the interdisciplinary Training Group will focus on imperial temporalities and their representation, reflection, resonance, and manipulation in periods of accelerated imperial change and in post-imperial contexts. The RTG will focus on three main lines of research: temporalities involved in a) the transformation of imperial space, b) imperial economies, and c) imperial institutions and normative structures. For further information on the Research Group please go to: https://www.altegeschichte.uni-freiburg.de/forschung/imperien.
We are looking for postgraduates with a background in the following disciplines: Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern, Modern, Eastern European and East Asian History as well as Sociology, Political Science, Literary/Cultural/Media Studies.
- an excellent master’s degree or equivalent
- high personal motivation for scholarly work and research
- an innovative dissertation project within in the scope of the Research Teaching Group
- applicants with no prior knowledge of German will be expected to develop proficiency in German within the first year of their study
- members of the Research Group are obliged to participate in the qualification programme tailored to academic as well as professional career paths
- a willingness to take residence in Freiburg and to enroll as a doctoral student at Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg (exceptions can be made under the current circumstances of the Covid-19 pandemic)
- a PhD programme with a clearly defined curriculum supporting your research, and preparing you for an academic career or other postdoctoral employment
- ample opportunities for intensive professional and interdisciplinary exchange
- regular supervision by two professorial members of the RTG
- funding for up to six months abroad at a research institute cooperating with our programme, as well as for attending conferences inside and outside Germany
Please submit the following documents:
- a standard curriculum vitae
- a letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- copies of degree certificates and diplomas
- an outline of your proposed research, identifying the topic and provisional title, the area of research, main research questions, theoretical approaches and methodology, and a time schedule (7-10 pages)
- two academic referees whom we may contact regarding your application
This is a temporary position limited to a term of 36 months in accordance with the Academic Fixed-Term Contract Law (WissZeitVG). The extension within the permissible fixed-time period/in accordance with the WissZeitVG in order to (successfully) complete the doctorate/project/PhD is possible.
This invitation for applications is subject of availabilty of funds.
Freiburg University seeks to increase the number of women in positions in which they are underrepresented. Preference will be given to applicants with disabilities, if there are several equally qualified candidates. The University of Freiburg is also dedicated to assist young scholars with families.
Please submit these materials in one collated PDF file by 04 September 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org citing the reference no. 00001166.
|Secondary Categories:||Ancient History
Cultural History / Studies
Early Modern History and Period Studies
East Asian History / Studies
Medieval and Byzantine History / Studies
Eastern Europe History / Studies
Modern European History / Studies