Historian for the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) Office
|Location:||Hawaii, United States|
SNA International, the Global Leader in Forensics, Biometrics and Identity Intelligence, is currently looking for multiple research Historians to support the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA), at the DPAA lab in Hawaii, by conducting historical research and writing, as well as assisting with related activities for DPAA’s Indo Pacific Directorate.
SNA is recruiting for the following position:
One Historian based in Hawaii for a one-year position with the possibility of an extension.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- 5 years of professional historical research experience (includes educational experience)
- Masters’ degree in History or related field with a strong understanding of US Military History, preference for research background in WWII-Pacific Theatre, Korean Conflict, and Vietnam War
- Strong written and oral communication skills evidenced by publication and conference presentation record
- Demonstrated history of writing for a wide, non-specialist audience
- Knowledge of relevant primary and secondary source material
- Experience with archival research
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented, with excellent time management skills
- Able to work well independently as well as in a team environment
Critical Work Responsibilities:
- Perform complex historical research into locating and identifying missing service members from past conflicts in order to advance Fullest Possible Accounting objectives
- Assignments include, but are not limited to: historical reports, documentary research, interpreting oral histories, secondary source readings, geographically bounded studies, case narrative development, data management, peer review, and briefings to Agency leadership.
- Protect the organization by keeping information confidential
- Follow all client policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned consistent with the position for which you were hired
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess a broad knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of historical research and analysis as gained through graduate education in history and relevant job experience
- Ability to conduct research on a diverse array of cases with scattered and scant source material
- Ability to apply flexible approaches and versatility to conducting research
- Knowledge of professional writing styles based on experience
- Exceptional abilities in oral and written communication, and the ability to provide written products quickly and in formats tailored for varied audiences
- Computer proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- A demonstrated history of initiative and achievement
- A demonstrated history of working independently with client staff
- Experience working independently with minimal direction or supervision
- Experience supporting and anticipating client needs and demonstrating problem-solving skills
- Experience performing tasks under tight deadlines and managing shifting priorities
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This work is primarily sedentary, although some physical effort may be required, particularly if traveling to assist with field investigations
- Office work may include the transfer of archival boxes
- Individual must be capable of working under high stress and pressure of short deadlines
Interested Foreign Nationals:
Foreign Nationals may be considered for this position. All foreign nationals must be able to demonstrate that they have lived in the United States for 3 of the past 5 years and have a US Social Security Number. These requirements must be met in order to move forward with the application process.
Please submit a cover letter along with your CV. CVs without a cover letter will not be considered. Apply HERE for the Hawaii Positions. Open positions can also be viewed at www.sna-intl.com.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Brieanne Knight, MS
The Global Leader in Forensics and Human Identification/Mass Fatality
An SBA 8(a) Woman-Owned Business Enterprise
525 Wythe Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 (Note: New Address)
|Primary Category:||Military History
|Secondary Categories:||South Asian History / Studies