The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme
|Position:||Doctoral Fellow, Fellow, Post-Doctoral Fellow|
The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme honours Professor Wang Gungwu, former Chairman of the Board of Trustees at ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute (ISEAS) for his distinguished tenure of 17 years and for his key contributions in nurturing a strong culture of research excellence at ISEAS.
The programme aims to build the next generation of scholars and policy makers exploring the nexus of big-power relations and its impact on Southeast Asia, through policy relevant and contemporary research on international politics and security, regional economics and digital technology, in the following priority areas of research:
- Developments in US-China relations and their impact on Southeast Asia
- Asia Pacific Security issues i.e. South China Sea, China-ASEAN relations
- Progress and prospects of global/regional economic cooperation initiatives like the Belt and Road Initiative and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- Rise of China and its impact on Southeast Asian communities
- Use of digital media and technology by countries to further their interests and influence perceptions in Southeast Asian countries
For: Pre-and post-doctoral research fellows and mid-career policy makers
Duration: Minimum of 2 months, up to a period of 6 months. Successful applicants are expected to be in residence at ISEAS for the duration of their fellowship.
Expected Outputs and Publication Opportunities
Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows are required to contribute to ISEAS Perspective and ISEAS Commentary publications in the priority areas of research and provide a presentation in an in-house seminar on their research findings for the duration of their fellowship.
Stipend and Benefits
The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme offers successful applicants a fixed monthly stipend (inclusive of a housing subsidy) for the duration of their fellowship at ISEAS and a round-trip economy airfare between their home base and Singapore.
As a Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellow, you will be invited to a meeting with Professor Wang Gungwu during the duration of your fellowship.
Successful applicants will enjoy access to an office space, computer equipment and IT services, ISEAS Library and all other facilities at ISEAS.
Proposals for partial/full cost-sharing will also be considered.
Applications are on-going, on a rolling basis. Applicants must submit:
- Cover Letter
- Research Statement (3 pages, double spaced) addressing:
- Area of research, research methodology, timeline and expected outputs
- Duration of fellowship in residence at ISEAS
- Two Reference Letters
- Proposal for partial/full cost-sharing (if applicable)
The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme is intended for pre-and post-doctoral research fellows and mid-career policy makers. For mid-career policy makers, we welcome applicants who may not have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree, provided that their CV/Resume can ascertain an appropriate level of professional experience and research interest.
Applications should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
With the subject heading: Application for the Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme
Or mailed to:
ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute
30 Heng Mui Keng Terrace
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Contemporary History