The Burlington Magazine, Editorial
Contemporary Art Editor - The Burlington Magazine
|Position:||Assistant Editor, Editor|
The Burlington Magazine
Contemporary Art Editor
The Burlington Magazine, the world’s leading monthly English-language journal of art history, is seeking an editor to oversee its online publishing platform on contemporary art, Burlington Contemporary. The role principally involves securing research articles of the highest standard for its journal and managing submissions through the peer review and editing process, together with commissioning and editing the weekly reviews of books and exhibitions. It also involves responsibility for editing and commissioning articles and reviews on modern and contemporary art in The Burlington Magazine.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrable in-depth knowledge of international contemporary art, both within and outside of gallery contexts, possess good editorial skills and be confident in handling digital media. Excellent organisational skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple tasks to strict deadlines are essential.
Good written, interpersonal and team-working skills will be expected, and experience of working in a magazine, book or digital publishing environment is desirable. Competence in at least one other European language will be an advantage.
The position reports to the Editor. This is a full-time post and is based at the Magazine’s office in central London.
The salary is £30,000 per annum, and comes with excellent benefits.
For a full description of the role and responsibilities and the application requirements please go to www.burlington.org.uk/jobs-noticeboard/jobs-opportunities.
Shortlisted candidates must be available for interview in the week of 6th April.
The deadline for applications is 30th March, 2020.
Job Title Contemporary Art Editor
Reporting to: The Editor
Location: The Magazine’s offices, 14–16 Duke’s Road, London WC1H 9SZ
Mobility: Occasional travel in London, Europe and the USA may be required, generally for short periods ranging from three to five days. The job holder should also have the flexibility to travel at short notice.
Hours: Full-time, 9am – 5pm with occasional overtime and weekend work, as required
The Contemporary Art Editor has editorial responsibility for the Magazine’s digital publishing platform, Burlington Contemporary, which consists of an academic journal together with reviews of book and exhibitions. The post also involves commissioning and editing articles and reviews on modern and contemporary art for the Burlington Magazine.
- Secure research articles of a high academic standard for the Burlington Contemporary journal.
- See articles through the peer review process and edit them for publication.
- Commission and edit reviews for Burlington Contemporary.
- Administer the editorial budget for Burlington Contemporary as agreed by the Editor and Managing Director.
- Keep Burlington Contemporary’s electronic forward plan of reviews (Trello) up to date and help to maintain the electronic database of contributors.
- Assist the Editor and Reviews Editor with any editorial matter concerning modern and contemporary art in the Magazine.
- As agreed with the Editor, from time to time contribute reviews or articles to both Burlington Contemporary and the Magazine
- Liaise with the Reviews Editor on the choice of reviews for Burlington Contemporary.
- Keep the Magazine’s commercial and marketing staff regularly informed about the editorial content of Burlington Contemporary.
- Maintain and develop social media promoting Burlington Contemporary, in collaboration with the Burlington’s marketing staff.
- Represent The Burlington Magazine and its digital publishing to the art historical community at large, including contributors (potential or existing), curators, academics, museums, galleries, advertisers, etc.
- Attend conferences, openings/private views, lectures and seminars, as required by the Editor.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Day to day editorial responsibility for Burlington Contemporary.
- Commission and schedule book and exhibition reviews for Burlington Contemporary.
- Secure articles for the Burlington Contemporary journal and steer them through the peer review and editing process.
- Obtain illustrations for use on Burlington Contemporary.
- Negotiate payments for editorial contributions to Burlington Contemporary within the budget set by the Managing Director.
- As required by the Editor, edit and proofread articles in the Magazine relating to Modern and Contemporary Art.
- Assist on occasion with any editorial projects, such as supplements, special series, etc.
- As agreed by the Editor, write reviews or articles for both the Magazine and Burlington Contemporary.
- Develop strategic partnerships as required, in collaboration with the Editor and Managing Director.
- A degree in Art History.
- High proficiency in written English.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of international contemporary art.
- Excellent contacts across the gallery, museum and academic sectors.
- An understanding of the editorial requirements of academic publishing.
- Confidence in working with digital media.
- Ability to administer a collaborative project in an efficient, creative and self-led manner.
- Must be able to reside and work in the UK.
- Proficiency in a European language in addition to English.
- Experience of work in a publishing environment in books, magazines or academic journals.
- Experience of working with website CMS systems.
For a full description of the application requirements please go to https://www.burlington.org.uk/jobs-noticeboard/jobs-opportunities.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History
|Secondary Categories:||Fine Arts