Assistant Professor - Hindi Language, Literature and Culture - South and Southeast Asian Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
Open November 15th, 2019 through Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
The Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor in Hindi Language, Literature and Culture, tenure track, with an expected start date of July 1, 2020.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at UC Berkeley and the Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies. We believe that our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share fully our commitment to these values. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the potential for intellectual innovation and exceptional promise in both research and teaching and the potential to advance the department's goal of a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive scholarly environment, and in alignment with Federal affirmative action goals and the UC Berkeley strategic plan for equity and inclusion: http://diversity.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley-strategic-plan-equity-inclusion-and-diversity
The department will consider applications from scholars working in any humanistic discipline or period, but it is especially interested in expanding its research and teaching activities in the modern era ( 19th Century to the present). Candidates are expected to have advanced literacy and native or near-native spoken skills in standard modern Hindi, the capacity to work with original texts, and research interests that deal centrally with Hindi sources. Candidates who also have excellent written, spoken and research skills in Urdu will have a distinct advantage. Knowledge of other classical or modern South Asia languages ( e.g. Marathi, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Persian etc.) will be a further plus. Advanced training and competence broadly in South Asian Studies encompassing specialization in literature, religion, cultural studies and cultural and intellectual history is a further desideratum.
Duties will include developing and teaching graduate and undergraduate courses , supervising graduate students, coordination of the Hindi and Urdu programs, supervision of graduate degree candidates, and participation in the administrative activities of the department and the University. For more information about the Department go to: http://sseas.berkeley.edu
Basic Qualifications (at time of application)
Ph.D. or equivalent international degree or enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent international degree-granting program at the time of application.
Additional Qualifications (by the start date)
Advanced literacy and proficiency in Hindi.
Ph.D. or equivalent international degree. Advanced literacy and proficiency in Urdu, followed by similar skills in other South Asian languages; an ability to think and work across disciplines.
Applicants must solicit 3 letters of recommendation from scholars familiar with their work; two additional letters are optional (5 total). All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e. dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html prior to submitting their letters.
UC Berkeley is committed to addressing the family needs of faculty, including dual career couples and single parents. UC Berkeley has an excellent benefits package as well as a number of policies and programs to support employees as they balance work and family. The University and the Department are interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. We particularly welcome applications from under-represented minorities and individuals with disabilities. For the complete University of California policy on discrimination, harassment, and affirmative action in the workplace see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To Apply: Visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF02323
Applicants may direct questions to Professor Robert Goldman mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
To receive full consideration, candidates must submit all required documentation by December 23, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Cover Letter - Including a statement of current and projected research areas, fields of specialization and language competency.
• Statement of Research - A 1 - 2 page statement of your research record and plans for the future.
• Statement of Teaching - A 1 page statement of your experience and philosophy of teaching
• Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - A statement on your contributions to diversity, addressing your past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion through your research, teaching, and/or service. For additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversityhttps://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
• 1 of 2 Writing Samples of Recent Scholarship - Published or unpublished; In English, 20-30 pages each.
• 2 of 2 Writing Samples of recent scholarship - Published or unpublished; In English, 20-30 pages each.
• 1 of 2 Sample Syllabi - For proposed Undergraduate and Graduate Courses ( excluding elementary and intermediate language instructional courses)
• 2 of 2 Sample Syllabi - For proposed Undergraduate and Graduate Courses ( excluding elementary and intermediate language instructional courses)
• 3-5 letters of reference required
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To Apply: Visit https://apptrkr.com/1713637
|Website:||http://University of California Berkeley|
|Primary Category:||South Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Cultural History / Studies