Southeast Missouri State University, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Dean - College of Humanities and Social Sciences
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Missouri, United States|
Southeast Missouri State University, a dynamic and competitive regional public comprehensive institution located in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, invites applications and nominations for the position of the Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The new Dean is to assume office on July 1, 2020.
Founded in 1873 as a teacher’s college, Southeast Missouri State University has grown into a comprehensive Master’s-level university that provides student‐centered education, with a foundation of liberal arts and sciences, experiential and service-learning opportunities, cutting-edge technology, and exceptional instruction that prepares students for civic responsibility and professional careers.
Named among U.S. News’ Best Regional Universities in the Midwest, Southeast Missouri State University has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 1915 and 34 academic programs hold program-specific accreditations and certifications from 29 accrediting agencies. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) is home to the Departments of Communication Studies and Modern Languages; Criminal Justice, Social Work and Sociology; English; History and Anthropology; and Political Science, Philosophy and Religion.
Reporting to the Provost, the CHSS Dean will develop strategic and innovative partnerships within the College and with other deans and their colleges, faculty, students, staff, and committees. While providing strong leadership and a clear vision in the College, the Dean’s role includes, but is not limited to, supporting and mentoring department chairpersons and faculty. The Dean is responsible for representing the financial needs of the College in the budgeting process. Participating in outreach activities, the Dean engages in admissions, recruitment, retention, and supports experiential learning with emphasis on the scholar-teacher model. This position builds and maintains donor relationships in support of the academic departments and their missions, priorities, and initiatives. The successful candidate will serve as a member of the Deans Council and multiple college and university committees, in the interest of shared governance.
Candidates should submit a cover letter demonstrating how they meet these required qualifications:
- An earned doctorate in Humanities or Social Sciences that is represented in one of the academic departments in the college from a regionally accredited University
- A record of accomplishments consistent with appointment as a tenured full professor in one of the departments within the college, including evidence of scholarly and research achievements and distinguished teaching experience
- Demonstrated appreciation for and understanding of the diverse disciplines represented in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Proven experience in managing and strategically using budgets
- Evidence of effectiveness in planning, implementing, and assessing academic programs
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships with external constituencies
- A record of progressive administrative experience in higher education
- Evidence of a commitment to the recruitment, advancement, and retention of a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
Southeast Missouri State University is interested in recruiting academic leaders with a commitment to excellence in graduate education grounded in the teacher-scholar model. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to facilitate the development of innovative support for graduate programs, faculty, and students with a focus on initiatives promoting student success, retention and degree completion.
For a complete position profile, please visit: https://semo.edu/hr/deansearch.html
Application Deadline: The position begins July 1, 2020 and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications and nominations must be received by January 17, 2020.
Applications and nominations are to be submitted in confidence to Alissa Vandeven, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com. To apply, submit the following items:
- Letter of interest addressing all required qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required when an offer of employment is accepted)
- Statement of leadership philosophy
- Names and contact information of five professional references
Applications and nominations are to be submitted in confidence to Alissa Vandeven, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||African American History / Studies