The Menil Collection, Curatorial
|Location:||Texas, United States|
The Curatorial Assistant provides administrative and research support to the Curator of Collections and members of the Senior Curatorial Department.
The role of Curatorial Assistant is a three-year appointment which may be extended beyond its initial ending date.
1. Assist the Curator of Collections and Curatorial Department with researching and cataloging the Museum’s permanent collection of ancient and pre-18th century European Art. Update and maintain object records in the curatorial object files, collection database (TMS), museum website, and other online resources.
2. Work with staff in collection management, conservation, and other museum departments to ensure the proper care and storage of the permanent collection and loans.
3. Prepare reports, budget templates, and other administrative documentation for distribution. Write and edit formal correspondence with dealers, scholars, and other museum professionals. Work with curatorial and other museum staff in other departments to schedule meetings, tours, and itinerary logistics for visiting scholars or museum professionals.
4. Write, edit, and assist with the production of object labels, online features (website and social media), and other public-facing materials.
5. Assist with exhibition research, planning, and other support functions, such as maintaining checklists, image files, bibliographic information, lender correspondence, grant proposals, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
6. Assist with the research and preparation of reports for potential acquisitions for the collection, including provenance, exhibition history, and bibliographies.
7. Assist with coordinating internships.
8. Function as a liaison for visitors, special guests, and organizations by responding to inquiries and, as necessary, conducting tours at the Menil.
1. Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in art history, anthropology, or museum studies required; Master’s preferred. Area of concentration in the arts of the ancient Mediterranean (Greek, Roman, Etruscan, Near East) or pre-18th-century European art.
2. Minimum of 2 years of museum experience with superior research and writing skills.
3. Must exercise discretion in dealing with confidential information about the collections, have strong written and verbal communication skills, and be organized and efficient in managing time-sensitive deadline.
4. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), familiarity with database management (TMS).
5. Must be self-motivated, attentive to detail, and able to prioritize workload.
6. Professional appearance and demeanor.
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample (not to exceed 2,500 words) to: Human Resources Department, The Menil Collection, 1511 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006. Application materials may also be emailed to: email@example.com.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History