Bilkent University, Program in Cultures, Civilizations & Ideas
Assistant Professor of Humanities
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Rank: Assistant Professor, Full-time Tenure Track
Bilkent University’s Faculty of Humanities and Letters announces multiple openings in the Program in Cultures, Civilizations & Ideas. Bilkent’s CCI Program is staffed by scholars from diverse fields in the humanities, and is responsible for teaching a mandatory two-semester sequence course in literature and philosophy to most undergraduates at the university.
- Candidates should have a PhD in any field in the humanities completed before September 2020.
- In addition to specialized expertise, candidates should have demonstrable proficiency in teaching works in philosophy and literature from different eras and traditions and a broad educational background in the humanities.
- Scholars committed to interdisciplinary and comparative work, and with proven excellence in teaching, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in teaching text based “Great Books” courses is a plus.
- Initial screening interviews will be held at the Career Center of the MLA Convention in Seattle, January 8th-11th, or via SKYPE.
- Expected starting date is September 1st, 2020.
- Standard teaching load is 3-3 (one prep), with a teaching load reduction available in the first two years.
- An active research agenda and evidence of publishing potential in one’s field of specialization is required of all candidates. Research support includes substantial funding for conference travel and potential for sabbatical leave following the third year.
Bilkent University, located in Ankara, is the oldest independent non-profit research university in Turkey. All classes are conducted in English. Salary is competitive and includes a fully-furnished and rent-free apartment on campus. Couples are encouraged to apply.
Applications are to be made online at: https://stars.bilkent.edu.tr/staffapp/CCI2019 . Three confidential letters of reference should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance, contact Dr. Mustafa Nakeeb, Coordinator, at email@example.com. Application deadline is 10 December, 2019 19:00 UTC+3.