Video Oral History Publisher
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
|Position:||Administrator, Copy Editor, Research Professional|
The HistoryMakers seeks to hire a full-time Video Oral History Publisher in order to make The HistoryMakers Digital Archive accessible to users worldwide. Those hired must have a background in African American, American, women and gender studies, anthropology, social history, economics, politics, STEM/medicine, the arts, library or information science or other related fields and will work as part of a publishing team that will process and add 40-45 interviews/month to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive (each interview is 3-6 hours in length). The person hired must have excellent writing skills. They must also have prior experience as a proofreader/editor and be an expert researcher and writer who can accurately describe in a concise and accurate manner the contents of each videotaped segment. The interviews cover 20th century history interviews across a wide variety of occupations, geographic areas and fields (i.e. STEM, law, art, education, music, etc.). The publisher will be responsible for:
- Watching the assigned interviews in The HistoryMakers Video Oral History Collection (www.thehistorymakers.org) and proofreading each interview under a 3-4 interviews per week quota system;
- Audit/editing the assigned interviews and dividing the interviews with chapter headings to provide for easy access;
- Writing abstracts for each 30 minutes videotaped section of the assigned interview;
- Evaluating each assigned interview in accordance with The HistoryMakers guidelines and procedures (www.thehistorymakers.org);
- Choosing video clips and assigning clip titles that reflect the clip’s contents for use in future productions and for use on The HistoryMakers website;
- Writing social media posts and blogs that reflect the content of the interviews;
- Performing quality control testing on the assigned interviews and uploading them to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive; and
- Working as a part of a team in order to process and add 40-45 interviews per month to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive.
Candidates must have strong administrative skills (type 60 wpm), be naturally detailed, and possess superior proofreading and organizational skills. Prior experience with detailed paper file, desktop and electronic file management along with prior experience working with databases. Candidates must also demonstrate their interest in furthering The HistoryMakers mission and growth.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The HistoryMakers also offers a competitive benefits package that includes 403(b), PTO, health, vision and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement and school loan repayment assistance.
The HistoryMakers, a 501(c) (3) national nonprofit organization headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, is dedicated to recording and preserving the personal histories of well-known and unsung African Americans. It is the largest video oral history archive of its kind, and the only massive attempt, since the WPA Slave Narratives of the 1930s, to record the African American experience by the first voice. In 2014, the Library of Congress became its permanent repository. The HistoryMakers Collection now numbers over 10,000 hours (3,100 interviews) of first person testimony recorded in over 413 cities and towns including international locations like Norway, the Caribbean, and Mexico. The earliest memory in the collection dates back to the 1700s.
For a look at our current projects visit: .
Please send resumes to:
|Primary Category:||African American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||African History / Studies