Assistant Professor of Latin American History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Nevada, United States|
Assistant Professor of Latin American History
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
• The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
• Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
• Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or mailto:email@example.com.
The School of Liberal Arts & Sciences at Nevada State College invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Latin American History to begin in August 2020. Ideally the candidate will come with a research and/or teaching emphasis in pre-20th century history of Latin America (19th, 18th, or earlier centuries) that can include such specializations as political, social, gender, military, sexuality, cultural, and colonialism.
About Nevada State College
Founded in 2002, Nevada State College (NSC) is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC faculty work in state-of-the-art facilities that feature “smart” classrooms and a Finance Lab that allows students to use real-world and timely information during class. The average class size across campus is 27 students. For more information about NSC, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG0CjbiOd8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30x3TXQbms
NSC serves over 5,000 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved; a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. As a teaching-oriented institution, our faculty focus on high-quality instruction, engaging learning experiences, and innovative techniques to improve student learning.
About the History Program at NSC
The history major at NSC is one of the largest programs in the Humanities Department in terms of students and offers two (2) tracks: a traditional history degree and a history degree with concentration in pre-law. The program also serves a number of students who are seeking history secondary education degrees. The program encourages hands-on learning of historical methods and emphasizes a capstone experience in areas such as oral history and a senior seminar where students conduct their own primary source research. In addition, the history program serves the general NSC student population through its lower-level general education-oriented courses. The program was recently approved to start a chapter of the Phi Alpha Theta national history honor society.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. To strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meet the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
• Teach lower- and upper-division courses in history in a variety of formats (e.g. in-person, hybrid, online)
• Course load is 4/4 (new faculty teach a reduced 3/3 course load during the first year)
• Help to grow the history major, in collaboration with the three current faculty. Particular emphasis on developing our course listings in Latin American history and in exploring funding opportunities and community connections related to NSC's Hispanic Serving Institution status
• Serve on departmental and college-wide committees
• Engage in scholarly activity within your discipline or in the scholarship of teaching and learning
• Ph.D. in History with a central focus on Latin America or in Latin American Studies with an emphasis in history and historical methods. Candidates who are ABD are eligible to apply with the expectation that the Ph.D. will be completed by July 31, 2020
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college or university level as evidenced by student evaluations of courses, teaching awards, and other markers
• Ability to teach upper-division courses in Latin American history and in more specific regional or national contexts within Latin America, as well as a lower division survey in Latin American history
• A sincere interest in joining a teaching college devoted to providing opportunities for a largely underserved population, including non-traditional and first-generation college students. NSC is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution
• Eligibility to work in the United States (NSC does not sponsor visas for international employees)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
• Leadership skills that will allow the candidate to work with current faculty to build the History program
• Experience with or desire to learn online teaching
• Ability to connect Latin America history with the histories of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, or North America in a classroom setting
• Ability to contribute to the teaching of a lower-division, general education course on the U.S. Constitution and U.S. history and culture by emphasizing the way this history interconnects with Latin America and revolutionary Latin American figures
• Demonstrated commitment to active and collaborative learning
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
• Assistant Professor; Tenure Track
• Budgeted salary for this position is $60,000 (9-month appointment)
• Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, CSN, TMCC, WNC, UNR, GBC, and DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please upload the following documents:
• Detailed CV or resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
• Letter of interest indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
• Recent teaching evaluations including especially summary reports on teaching effectiveness;
• Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted).
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1653031
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1653031
|Primary Category:||Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||History Education