Assistant Professor, Sub-Saharan African History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
The Department of History in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position in Sub-Saharan Africa at the rank of Assistant Professor for appointment beginning in the 2020-2021 academic year.
The Position: The department seeks a strong teacher-scholar with expertise in the area of Sub-Saharan Africa. Duties in this position include teaching Sub-Saharan African history, the World Civilization surveys (ancient world to 1500 and 1500 to the present) and upper-division seminar courses in areas of interest; maintaining an active research agenda; and service to various levels of the university and the related community. Applicants whose work incorporates the digital humanities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in History from an accredited university at the time of appointment. ABDs are welcome to apply, but such applicants must complete all the requirements for the Ph.D. by the time of appointment.
- Evidence of potential for excellence in university-level teaching
- Evidence of ability to work with and mentor a diverse student population
- Evidence of potential for scholarly engagement
- Evidence of potential for teaching survey courses in world history
- Time period and field of specialization are open, but preference will be given for candidates with research experience or graduate training focused on migration, environmental change, globalization, state-building, democracy, or other aspects of social change and transition in Africa.
- Ability to address the history of Africa and Africans in innovative regional, global or comparative contexts
- Research experience in one or more Sub-Saharan languages
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in digital humanities
- Hybrid and/or online teaching experience
- Ability and interest in curriculum and pedagogical development in world history
Application Procedure: A completed application will consist of:
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a brief statement of teaching philosophy (no more than 750 words);
- three recent (on letterhead, signed and dated within the past two years) letters of reference.
- a completed application form; and
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists).
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than November 4, 2019. NOTE: The submission deadline has now been extended to November 12, 2019. Early submission is encouraged. An online submission process will be used at the following link: https://apply.interfolio.com/66953%20
For further information or clarification, please contact:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Dr. Rob Lewis, History Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3860 FAX: 909.869.724 Email: email@example.com
The University: Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our ethnically diverse student population of approximately 21,000 is enrolled in 60 baccalaureate, 26 master’s degree programs and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,000 faculty. We recruit students increasingly from throughout California and beyond. The students are success and career focused and extremely diverse. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W. K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in one of the most culturally and economically dynamic regions in the country, and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
The College:The College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences cultivates one’s intellectual development, ethical reasoning, and aesthetic sensibility to support creative and critical thinking in a diverse world of competing challenges. The College offers introductory and advanced course work in numerous degree and certificate programs across the humanities, social sciences, and performing arts. The General Education program offered to all students enrolled in the University is also central to the mission of the College. The College embraces its role in providing courses and curricula in support of multiple and single-subject teaching credential students. The University’s mission to “cultivate success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation” lies at the heart of the College’s commitment to offer programs that educate the whole person. Additional information is available at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/
About the Department: The History Department at Cal Poly Pomona offers both a B.A. and an M.A. degree in history as well as courses that meet the campus’s general education requirements. The Department offers a global history emphasis that, in line with the mission of the university, allows students to deepen their understanding of the past and its meaning on both a particular and a global scale. The department provides a solid grounding for students in historical methods and historiography, as well as the latest developments in digital history. All student majors are responsible for researching and writing an original senior thesis based on primary and secondary sources. The curriculum includes a wide range of courses organized both geographically and thematically. https://www.cpp.edu/~class/history/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Dr. Rob Lewis, Search Committee Chair
|Primary Category:||African History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||World History / Studies