San Jose State University, Art and Art History
Art/Digital Media Art (Emphasis in Creative Code & Web Based Media)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
Department: Art & Art History Job Opening ID (JOID): 25103
Specialization: Art/Digital Media Art (Emphasis in Creative Code & Web Based Media)
Rank: Assistant Professor (Tenure-track)
Description: The Department of Art & Art History is seeking qualified candidates for a tenure-track position in Digital Media Art with an emphasis on Creative Coding/Web Based Media. The ideal candidate will possess critical, technical and art historical knowledge combined with a contemporary art practice focused on the aesthetic, conceptual, and technological production of digital and network-based artworks. The candidate will develop and teach studio-based courses that serve a wide range of undergraduate and graduate students with a focus on emerging trends in digital media art utilizing code-based production.
The candidate will be expected to collaborate with students and faculty across a wide range of artistic media, including sculpture, painting, photography and installation art. The candidate will also be expected to conceptualize and develop interdisciplinary art, innovation and technology initiatives within the department and across the university.
The ideal candidate will already possess some experience with multidisciplinary collaboration across the arts and sciences to address aesthetic, social, and cultural trends in digital media art and technology. In particular, the department is interested in candidates who can contribute to an interdisciplinary “Deep Humanities & Arts” initiative that is motivated by the recognition that the arts and humanities have a critical role to play in the formative moment of the design of technology.
• Master of Fine Arts or Ph.D. in Digital Media Art, or related field, completed by the time of appointment;
• A strong aesthetic & theoretical understanding of art and technology;
• A portfolio of creative work demonstrating artistic achievement in Creative Code & Web Based Media;
• Experience in generative art, simulation, AI, or procedural animation using C#, Python, or other scripts in concert with visual, 3D, or interactive platforms;
• Demonstrated artistic achievement as evidenced by a record artistic exhibition and academic research at the intersection of contemporary art and digital technology;
• Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, such as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experiences.
• At least two years teaching experience at the university level.
• Teach existing and develop new multidisciplinary graduate and undergraduate art courses in creative code and web-based media with a focus on contemporary art practices;
• Work across disciplines in the arts to participate in emerging initiatives at the intersection of art, innovation, and technology with a focus emerging web and digital network techniques and technologies;
• Candidate must address the needs of a student population of great diversity—in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language, and academic preparation—through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies, and advisement;
• Effectiveness in academic assignment; service on department, college, and university committees; and continuing creative and professional activity are required to achieve tenure and promotion.
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting Date: August 13, 2020
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, a letter of application, a link to an online portfolio or body of work, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/philosophy and research/creative activity plans, three current letters of recommendation should be uploaded to https://apply.interfolio.com/66889 by 12 p.m. on January 9, 2020. Please note that original copies of all transcripts will be required from all finalists after preliminary screening.
Questions about the position can be addressed to: Daphne Purisima at email@example.com. Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) 25103 on all correspondence.
The Art and Art History Department offers BA degrees in Art Education and Studio Practice, BA and MA in Art History & Visual Culture, and BFA and MFA degrees in Digital Media Art, Photography, Pictorial Art, and Spatial Art to approximately 500 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate students.
San José State University enrolls over 33,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History