Ochanomizu University, Human Science Division, Faculty of Core Research
Tenure-track Assistant Professor/Lecturer (Economics and Area Studies）
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Lecturer|
Ochanomizu University, as a national women’s university of Japan, aims to promote women’s global leadership. We invite applications for a tenure-track assistant professor/lecturer position in the field of Economics and Area Studies. The candidate is expected to contribute to the internationalization of education and research programs of our university. The successful applicant will be given a tenured position after an assessment process is completed.
1. Title and Number of Positions: One Assistant Professor or Lecturer (The position is for a five-year term. After a certain period of time, the successful applicant will be promoted to hold a tenured position).
2. Affiliation: Human Science Division, Faculty of Core Research, Ochanomizu University
3. Location of Employment: Ochanomizu University 2-1-1 Otsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8610, JAPAN Nearest station: Myogadani station of Marunouchi subway line, or Gokokuji station of Yurakucho subway line. Seven-minute walk from either station.
4. Fields of Specialization: Economics and Area Studies
5. Main Courses to Teach: (Graduate School) Common courses and courses relevant to the applicant’s specialization. (Master’s Program: Gender and Social Sciences, Doctoral Program: Interdisciplinary Gender Studies, Graduate School of Humanities and Sciences) (Undergraduate) Liberal Arts (lecture/seminar), Introduction to Global Studies, Methodology of Global Studies, Economics in Globalization, Regional Development, Practicum of Area Studies, etc. (Global Studies for Intercultural Cooperation, Faculty of Letters and Education)
6. Job Responsibilities: (1) Education, research and social contributions in the applicant’s own fields of specialization. (2) Administrative duties of the university
7. Qualifications: (1) The applicants must have Ph.D. degree at the time of employment. (2) The applicants are expected to have a key role in education in English (The applicants whose first language is English or who have an equivalent command of English would be highly preferred). High proficiency in Japanese is also required (The applicants must have ability to perform administrative tasks such as producing documents and chairing & participating in meetings in Japanese). All nationalities are encouraged to apply. (3) The applicants must be qualified to teach and supervise graduate students. (4) The applicants must have experiences and achievements of education and research in their fields of specialization. (5) The applicants who have experiences of teaching and research based on fieldwork research would be highly preferred. (6) The applicants are expected to understand the value of liberal arts and contribute to the liberal arts education program. (7) The applicants who can cooperate with the Research Organization for the Promotion of Global Women’s Leadership would be preferred.
8. Date of Employment: 1 April, 2020 (or the earliest possible date thereafter)
9. Working Hours: From 8:30 to 17:15 (including a 60-minute break) from Monday to Friday, under discretionary labor system.
10. Holidays and Leave: Based on Ochanomizu University’s personnel regulations. Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays, and New Year’s holidays (from 29 December to 3 January) in principle. However, you may be requested to work on holidays for administrative reasons. Leave: Annual paid leave, sick leave, and special leave are provided.
11. Salary: Based on Ochanomizu University’s personnel regulations. The basic annual salary is divided into 12 equal paychecks. Tax and the self-payment of welfare expense (employment insurance, mutual-aid premium) will be deducted.
12. Allowances: Commuting allowance, special allowance for admission administration and overtime compensation will be paid based on Ochanomizu University annual salary regulations. Bonus will not be paid. Commuting allowance will not be paid if commuting distance is less than 2 km. If the employment starts in the middle of a month, commuting allowance will start from the following month.
13. Retirement Allowance: Based on Ochanomizu University’s personnel regulations.
14. Social Insurance: The employee shall be enrolled in the workers' accident compensation insurance, employment insurance, and health insurance of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
15. Documents to be submitted: (1) Curriculum Vitae: with a photo, an academic and employment history (including work experiences in Japanese), awards, academic societies, address, e-mail address, affixed with personal seal or signature. (2) List of research achievements (Please itemize books, reviews/commentaries, refereed papers, international conference papers, awards, patents, etc.) and the details of obtained research grants (3) Offprints or photocopies of major papers and books (up to five papers or books). These major works should be marked in the list of achievements. (4) Your visions about working at a women’s university and nurturing global women’s leadership (approximately 300 words). (5) A summary of the previous research and a research proposal after the employment (approximately 600 words). (6) A summary of teaching experiences and educational philosophy (approximately 600 words). (7) Photocopy of Ph.D. diplomas or Ph.D. certificates (Ph.D. confirmation certificates). (8) Recommendation letters of two referees. (9) Stamped self-addressed postcard for informing applicants the application package has been received. Please use A4 sized paper for the above documents except for (3), (7), (8) and (9). The submitted documents should be prepared either in English or Japanese.
16. Selection Procedures: (1) First screening: Document screening (2) Second screening: Presentation and interviews The date and time of the interview will be noticed to the applicants who have passed the first stage of selection. The selected applicants will be interviewed at Ochanomizu University in Tokyo. Interviewees will be responsible for their own travel costs. The final result of the selection will be sent by postal mail to each applicant.
17. Deadline to submit the application: All documents should reach us definitely before 4 p.m. on17 September, 2019 (Japan time).
18. Mailing address for the submission: President Kimiko Murofushi Ochanomizu University 2-1-1 Otsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8610, JAPAN.
You should use registered mail. (You can also use home-delivery service). Please write “Application for an Assistant Professor/Lecturer in Economics and Area Studies” in red on the front of the envelope.
[Important Notes for sending the application]
*The submitted documents will be used only for the selection and any personal data will not be given to others.
*The submitted documents will be disposed of after the selection and not returned to the applicant unless a self-addressed stamped envelope is enclosed with the application package to return the documents.
*The original job description is in Japanese. Please refer to the Japanese version (http://www.ocha.ac.jp/recruitment/body/d000047_d/fil/20190718-0917_gbun01.pdf)
Professor Makoto Kobayashi Human Science Division, Faculty of Core Research, Ochanomizu University Tel +81-3-5978-5193
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences
|Secondary Categories:||Area Studies
Economic History / Studies