Akita International University, Faculty of International Liberal Arts
Full-time, Tenure-Track Position in China Studies, International Liberal Arts Faculty, Akita International University
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Full Professor|
The Akita International University (AIU) Faculty of International Liberal Arts invites applications for a tenure-track position in China Studies at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor level, starting on April 1, 2020.
Akita International University was founded in 2004 as the first public university corporation in Japan. The university offers an all English-medium education in international liberal arts designed to prepare its students for responsible leadership in a globalized age. In the most recent Japan University Rankings by the Times Higher Education (THE), out of more than 700 universities, AIU was ranked 10th overall, and 1st for its international profile and also for student engagement. We are proud of this recognition of the quality of our programs, and we seek an individual who can contribute to ongoing excellence in education at AIU.
Located in Akita, Japan, the school operates on a semester calendar with an intensive winter program between semesters. All AIU students must spend one full academic year studying abroad, and each year, roughly one quarter of its students are from one of the school’s 196 exchange partner institutions. This means that our classes typically have a wide international mix of students who study alongside our traditional degree-seeking Japanese students. In all, the university serves about 900 undergraduates and approximately 60 graduate students. For more details about the school, visit the website at https://web.aiu.ac.jp/en/about/.
As a Liberal Arts College, AIU offers an undergraduate curriculum leading to degrees in Global Business and in Global Studies, and our principal endeavor is helping students develop critical thinking skills. We seek candidates who possess the ability to foster disciplined inquiry and discussion among a very diverse student body. Additionally, as a small international liberal arts college that stresses the necessity of interdisciplinary work, we seek individuals who welcome close collaboration with colleagues across the range of the university’s programs.
The Global Studies Program is searching for a liberally educated individual with a passion for classroom teaching and scholarly research, who can deliver coursework in Chinese politics and society, foreign relations, and any other areas related to contemporary China and East Asia. The successful applicant will teach approximately 18 credits per year. Please note that all courses are taught in English at AIU.
- Ph.D. in China/East Asian Studies or a related field (If the PhD is “expected,” documentation of the anticipated date of conferral is required.)
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to teach at a high level in English
- Scholarly promise
- A commitment to liberal arts education and the AIU Mission Statement
- Teaching experience at the university level
- Scholarly achievement
- Experience working in multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environments
- Experience living or working in Japan and familiarity with Japanese culture
- Teach undergraduate courses in China and East Asian Studies. Specific teaching assignments will be determined in consultation with the program supervisor and in consideration of the successful candidate’s specific areas of expertise.
- Advise individual undergraduate students
- Engage in scholarly activities leading to presentation and publication
- Participate in service to the university, program, and community
- Collaborate with faculty and staff on program development
The initial appointment is based on a three-year, fixed-term contract. The contract is renewable up to two times, and tenure is possible. Salary is competitive within Japan and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits are also included as part of the remuneration, including partial housing allowance, health insurance, and a research fund allowance.
To be considered for the position, please complete the online application form and upload the following documents through the URL below.
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- PDF copies of up to three recent publications
- Statements of
- Teaching philosophy and teaching interests
- Research interests
- Syllabi for two courses that you do or could teach in the areas indicated in the list above
- Names and email contact information for three current references.
AIU Jobs and Vacancies: https://web.aiu.ac.jp/en/employment/
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. After the initial screening, a number of candidates will be invited to participate in Skype interviews. Finalists for the position will then be invited to AIU for an interview, a research presentation, a teaching demonstration, and a chance to see the campus and the community.
Documents submitted in support of your application will only be used for the purpose of making a selection decision. Unfortunately, we are unable to return documents submitted as part of this process.
GS Faculty Search Committee
c/o Office of Faculty and Staff Support
Akita International University
Yuwa, Akita-city 010-1292 JAPAN
|Primary Category:||Chinese History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Political Science