Creighton University, Division of Information Technology and Library Services
Assistant Vice Provost- University Libraries and Information Services
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Nebraska, United States|
Creighton is a Catholic and Jesuit comprehensive University located in Omaha, Nebraska and is committed to excellence in its undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. As comprehensive, Creighton’s education embraces nine colleges and professional schools and is directed to the intellectual, social, spiritual, physical, service-mindedness, and recreational aspects of students’ lives and to the promotion of justice.
Creighton University seeks an Assistant Vice Provost (AVP) of University Libraries and Information Services, to serve as the administrator of library and research services. The AVP will be responsible for driving forward the development and merger of undergraduate, graduate and health sciences library teams, increasing partnership opportunities and re-developing information and library services toward the achievement of a University Learning Commons model. The AVP will apply innovative strategies to oversee the strengthening the library collection and resources and champion a highly intentional complement of student services focused on the acquisition, curation, and transmission of information. Additionally, the AVP will be responsible for providing a breadth of library and research resources, supporting access that follows an anytime, anywhere, any device philosophy. Finally, this AVP will play a key role in reimagining the role of libraries and developing partnerships that support cross-disciplinary research, active learning, and scholarly collaboration at Creighton.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative visionary, ready to lead the transformation of processes, with consideration for online and multi-campus students and consistent with the University’s Catholic-Jesuit mission. Such a mission-guided individual leads teams and develops staff to provide the leadership and skills needed to create integrated resources and services for the entire university community. The candidate will have the skills to improve access to resources and services in line with the University’s strategic plan of developing and implementing a global mindset.
The AVP will foster community and organizational partnerships and develop educational programming distinctive to the University and its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As the key promoter of information and digital literacy, the AVP will be adept at using analytics to improve access to and the adoption of information services. The AVP will monitor and adapt to the changing landscape of research and relevant technologies. Finally, the ideal candidate will provide exceptional service quality and manage operational details.
- Master of library science (MLS) degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience; substantive, relevant library and academic leadership providing and supporting library services for on-ground and online students.
- Successful in managing the effective library and learning spaces with experience applying patron data to improve the usability/accessibility of information services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key trends in library services such as data strategies, digital repositories, open access resources, learning commons models, and implementing emerging technologies.
- Competencies in supporting a wide range of research environments, in support of faculty and staff programs and students offered at Creighton University.
- Strong leadership, collaboration, and communications skills. Must be able to partner and coordinate efficiently and effectively with various stakeholders within and outside the University.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting, leading, mentoring, and managing teams and staff, including instituting impactful, contemporary professional development opportunities.
- Knowledge of fiscal management, including vendor management, contract negotiation, budgetary planning, and oversite.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics: A strong combination of intermediate and expert level skill is required in the following.
- Managing the selection, acquisition, and cataloging of information for immediate access, at any time, using any device.
- Developing and streamlining information resources including, collections, web/research services, archives, and others.
- Financial management, contract negotiation, budgetary monitoring, and reporting.
- Knowledge and supporting the vision of the learning commons library model.
- Stewardship and management of scholarly records and information.
- Best practices for managing technology-rich learning spaces.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Creating relationships with constituents and learning communities.
- Skilled in collecting data and measuring service quality for improving student achievement.
- Increasing financial support from internal and external sources.
- Conceptualizing, coordinating, and delivering information literacy programming.
- Recommended License/Certifications:
- Seeing: 75 – 100%
- Hearing: 75 – 100%
- Standing/Climbing/Mobility: 0 – 24%
- Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: 25 – 49 % (pound: 15 lbs.)
- Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: 75 – 100%
- Travel: Yes
- Exposure to Blood Borne pathogens: No
Creighton University is committed to providing a safe and non-discriminatory educational and employment environment. The University admits qualified students, hires qualified employees and accepts patients for treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or other status protected by law. Its education and employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other programs and activities, are administered without unlawful discrimination.
This description describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Regular, reliable attendance is an essential function and all employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. Employees may also be required to work in excess of normal working hours as workloads and seasonal activities necessitate. A complete description is available in the Human Resource office located at 3006 Webster Street Omaha, NE. Creighton University reserves the right to modify duties, responsibilities and activities at any time with or without notice.
Nancy Schrage, Senior Human Resource Generalist
|Primary Category:||Library and Information Science