University of Oslo, Section for Medical Anthropology and Medical History, Department of Community Medicine and Global Health, Institute of Health and Society
Three year postdoctoral fellowship on Indian antibiotics and AMR
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Applications are invited for a full-time three year position (100%) as Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo. The Postdoctor will work in an interdisciplinary environment focusing on societal aspects of antimicrobial resistance (AMR). AMR is an increasing global threat to human, animal and environmental health, and the research group approaches this complex biosocial problem by bringing social sciences and humanities into conversation with biomedicine and global public health.
More about the position
The postdoctoral fellow will work on a project entitled Generics across the Ocean: Production, regulation and export of Indian antibiotics for African markets. The project aims to develop a broad social, economic, and political understanding of Indian antibiotics, and insights into to the dynamics and mechanisms of export of antibiotics to East African markets. He/she will explore regulation and production of antibiotics in India, investigate marketing and export of antibiotics for African markets by Indian producers, and investigate perceptions of resistance among Indian producers and regulating bodies. The project will be carried out through fieldwork in relevant sites of the booming pharmaceutical production in India. Potential candidates should consult the project description before applying.
The postdoctoral fellow will be part of a multidisciplinary team of anthropologists, physicians and historians.
- 6-10 months of in-depth fieldwork in India. It will include in-depth interviews, informal conversations and text analyses
- work closely with local actors in both the pharmaceutical industry and trade (small and larger entrepreneurs and businesses involved in with African markets), as well as official regulators
- write three articles in high-profile journals
- participate in interdisciplinary co-authored publications as well as in conferences outside of their own discipline
- establish and organize the activities of a research group at the Institute, which will serve as an organizational umbrella to bring together all research activities - international and national - on AMR across the departments at the Institute for Health and Society
- pplicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree, in the social science, the humanities or global health. Candidates with a background from the health sciences might be considered if they have documented experience from critical global health research. The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved.
- fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Other relevant languages is a strong advantage.
- demonstrated ability to publish high quality research is not a requirement, but will be an advantage.
You should be highly motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to engage with a diverse range of disciplines and organizations.
- salary NOK 515 200 - 576 100 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- funds for research, travel, conference participation and dissemination, books and equipment
- academically stimulating working environment including the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
- possibilities for international exchange
Deadline: 19th May
Questions regarding the project and position: Associate Professor Heidi Fjeld, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +47 22850603 / +47 99013401
Practical information regarding the application process: HR Advisor Åse Ragnhild Halfstad, email@example.com, Phone number: 22 85 05 08
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences
History of Science, Medicine, and Technology
South Asian History / Studies