Video Oral History Publisher
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
|Position:||Administrator, Assistant Editor, Copy Editor, Editor|
Candidates must be a resident of the City of Chicago.
The HistoryMakers seeks to hire a full-time Video Oral History Publisher in order to make The HistoryMakers, unique, digital video oral history archive accessible to users worldwide. Those hired must have a background in African American, American, women’s, political, social history; as part of a processing team that will process a total of 100 interviews/month (each interview is 3-4 hours in length averagely. The person hired must have excellent writing skills. They must also have prior experience as a proofreader/editor and be an expert researcher and writer who can accurately describe in a concise and accurate manner the contents of each videotaped segment. The interviews cover 20th century history interviews across a wide variety of occupations, geographic areas and fields (i.e. STEM, law, art, education, music, etc.). The publisher will be responsible for:
- Watching the assigned interviews in The HistoryMakers Video Oral History Collection (www.thehistorymakers.org) and proofreading each interview under a 3-4 interviews per week quota system;
- Audit/editing the assigned interviews and dividing the interviews with chapter headings to provide for easy access;
- Writing abstracts for each 30 minutes videotaped section of the assigned interview;
- Evaluating each assigned interview in accordance with The HistoryMakers guidelines and procedures (www.thehistorymakers.org);
- Choosing video clips and assigning clip titles that reflect the clip’s contents for use in future productions and for use on The HistoryMakers website;
- Writing social media posts and blogs that reflect the content of the interviews;
- Performing quality control testing on the assigned interviews and uploading them to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive; and
- Working as a part of a team in order to process and add 100 interviews per month to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive.
Candidates must have strong administrative skills (type 60 wpm), be naturally detailed, and possess superior proofreading and organizational skills. They must also be strong researchers, writers and adept at proofreading. Prior experience with detailed paper file and desktop management is critical as well as proven experience in a non-profit setting. Candidates must also demonstrate their interest in furthering The HistoryMakers mission and growth.
The HistoryMakers, a 501(c) (3) national nonprofit organization headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, is dedicated to recording and preserving the personal histories of well-known and unsung African Americans. It is the largest video oral history archive of its kind, and the only massive attempt, since the WPA Slave Narratives of the 1930s, to record the African American experience by the first voice. In 2014, the Library of Congress became its permanent repository. The HistoryMakers Collection now numbers over 10,000 hours (3,100 interviews) of first person testimony recorded in over 413 cities and towns including international locations like Norway, the Caribbean, and Mexico. The earliest memory in the collection dates back to the 1700s.
For a look at our current projects visit: www.thehistorymakers.org.
Please send resumes to:
|Primary Category:||African American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||African History / Studies
American History / Studies