Florida International University, Art + Art History Department
Digital Arts | New Media Instructor
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Florida, United States|
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a “R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity” and recognized as a Carnegie Community Engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as business, engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy and is ranked second in Florida in Forbes Magazine’s “America’s Best Employers” list. FIU graduates are consistently among the highest paid college graduates in Florida and are among the leaders of public and private organizations throughout South Florida. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission with multiple state-of-the-art research facilities including the Wall of Wind Research and Testing Facility, FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program and the Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, the Miami Beach Urban Studios, and Tianjin, China. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Digital Arts | New Media Instructor
The Art + Art History Department at Florida International University seeks an Instructor to teach graduate and undergraduate courses in Digital Arts/New Media. We seek a teacher-scholar with a critical and practical understanding of emerging technologies in a fine arts context. This is a full-time, non-tenure earning Instructor position to commence in August 2019.
We are looking for candidates with art and design production expertise in new media fields including but not limited to expanded cinema, experimental moving image, film, video, installation, sound art, performance, mobile and locative media, Internet art, AR/VR, creative coding, interactive electronic objects, physical computing, digital fabrication, 3D modeling, and/or gaming. The ideal candidate should have the ability to bring their own innovative practice to the classroom to inspire, challenge, and motivate students.
- MFA degree from an accredited institution in Studio Art, Digital Arts, Film/Video, or equivalent degree.
- A strong commitment to teaching an active studio practice.
- A willingness to engage in service to the department, college, university, community, and the profession.
- Preference will be given to candidates showing evidence of exceptional teaching, ability to engage in the theoretical and critical discourses of contemporary art in practice and pedagogy, as well as experience with Digital Arts/New Media curriculum development.
- Teaching experience at the university level, ideally in Digital Arts/New Media and theory, will also be required.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 516911 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu/. Please submit the following documents as a single PDF file:
- Cover letter stating how the applicant’s interests, experience and qualifications fulfill the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement addressing current creative work
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Portfolio and support materials including twenty digital files representing creative work and scholarly activities
- Digital files of student work created under the applicant’s supervision in the field of Digital Arts / New Media.
- Sample syllabi for Digital Arts / New Media courses.
- Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three current references who will be contacted as determined by the search committee.
- Finalists will be asked to submit official transcripts and three letters of recommendation.
To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by March 1 2019. Review will continue until the position is filled.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
|Primary Category:||Art / Art History
|Secondary Categories:||Fine Arts