Deputy Directrice / Director of Museum
The Museum für Islamische Kunst, Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz seeks to fill at the next possible date the position of the Deputy Directrice / Director of Museum.
Appointment Grade: A 15 BBesO
Reference Number: SMB-ISL-1-2019
The position is to be filled indefinitely. In case of employment according to the collective agreement for civil services in Germany (TVöD), the salary is commensurate with the importance of the position.
The Museum für Islamische Kunst (ISL) in Berlin is the only institution of its kind in the German speaking world and the oldest museum dedicated to Islamic art outside the Islamic world. It houses one of the most important and inclusive encyclopedic collections of Islamic visual and material culture worldwide. The collection includes over 93,000 objects stemming from all periods of Islamic art history and stretching from the 7th to the 21st centuries. Particular strengths include important architectural objects from diverse Islamic regions and periods and also pre-Islamic art objects stemming from the Southern Arab Peninsula and the Sasanian era. Contemporary art is additionally important to the museum. In breadth and scale, the collections of the Museum für Islamische Kunst, Berlin are a significant testimony to many of the world’s most important cultural arenas.
The museum is an active research institution and engaged with a wide range of national and international research networks that examine the art, archeology and material culture of Islamic societies. The museum also works with several global partners in regard to museum development, documentation, training and restoration of cultural heritage, especially in those regions represented by the museum’s collection. With its forthcoming move, the museum will significantly expand its exhibition spaces and offer a fuller presentation of its complete holdings to its more than one million visitors per year. The new exhibitions seek to newly mediate the collection and make its cultural history and legacy relevant to today’s visitors. It is a leading institution for questions of migration in society and cultural education at all levels in relation to the Islamic world.
• overall scientific and organizational responsibilities for the museum's collection of approx. 93,000 objects; including collection development, research, documentation and publication
• responsibility for the collection, including the management of its inventory, indexing and documentation in the museum’s digital archive system, provenance research, restoration, publications, additional documentation, and digitization
• curatorial responsibility for the overall collection and supervision of particular parts, i.a. the large holdings of ceramic vessels and architectural decoration as well as collections from archeological sites
• oversee and manage all personnel related to the areas of responsibility noted above
• participate in committees within and outside the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin and the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
• plan and manage budgetary resources including third-party funding
• supervise planning for the depots, the archive, the image archive and the structure of an image data administration as well as its implementation
• develop topics and conceptions for special exhibitions or events
• establish and maintain national and international cooperations with museums, universities, and related institutions, etc., especially in partnerships with persons / institutions in countries represented by the collections
• conceive, develop and implement conferences and research projects (concept, budget, organization)
• establish restorative and conservatory measures for the collections in collaboration with responsible restorer(s); develop general restoration concepts with the whole team
• excellent knowledge of Islamic history, art and the material culture with its different groups throughout all its periods with a scientific degree (Master, Diploma, M.A.) or equivalent experience
• excellent and near native German speaking and writing abilities, very good knowledge of at least two additional European languages and of at least one classical Islamic language
• very good IT skills (office applications, documentation systems, especially databases)
• proven record of leadership and excellent ability and desire to work collaboratively
• excellent organizational and communication skills
The Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (SPK) welcomes applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, gender, or nationality. As an interdisciplinary cultural and research institution, the SPK offers family-friendly working conditions and ensures equality between women and men. Qualified disabled individuals are especially welcome to apply. Part-time employment is principally possible.
Please send your detailed application documents including reference number SMB-ISL-1-2019 by 5 February 2019 to:
Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Please write letters of interest in German. Digital or E-mailed applications will not be considered. If applicants desire the return of application materials, please enclose an envelope with address and postage.
For questions regarding position, please contact: Prof. Dr. Weber (Tel.: 030-266 45 5200).
|Primary Category:||Islamic History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Art / Art History
Middle East History / Studies
Arabic History / Studies