Academic Coordinator II-Center for Middle Eastern Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
Academic Coordinator II - Center for Middle Eastern Studies
About the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
The CMES is a federally-designated Title VI National Resource Center and an interdisciplinary hub for Middle Eastern studies across disciplines and departments on campus and in the Bay Area. Each year the CMES provides direct support to students and faculty; contributes funds to departments to ensure the teaching of Middle Eastern languages and area studies courses; organizes an interdisciplinary lecture, workshop, and film series; hosts visiting
scholars; organizes trainings on teaching about the Middle East for graduate students, K 14 and community college educators; and collaborates with local, national, and international partners on scholarly initiatives related to the Middle East.
The Vice Chair works closely with the CMES Chair to develop the near and long-term intellectual vision of the CMES and help shape Middle Eastern studies at UC Berkeley. The Vice Chair position is central both to the everyday function and the future growth of the CMES.
• Leads the CMES’s formal development efforts, including regular donor stewardship and cultivation, managing the external advisory board, managing alumni relations, and other fundraising activities.
• Works with the Chair to develop a strategic plan for the CMES, with the aim of elevating the profile of Middle Eastern studies on campus and beyond, including internationally.
• Assists the Chair in curating academic programming and implementing CMES’s mission as a Title VI National Resource Center.
• Identifies grant opportunities, coordinates grant-writing and grant-reporting.
• Works with Events Coordinator on strategic communication campaigns.
• Manages Visiting Scholars Program.
• Oversees Stevens Global Ambassadors Project.
• Fulfills certain duties of the CMES Chair when they are unavailable.
Basic Qualifications (required at time of application):
• M.A. or equivalent international degree.
Additional Required Qualifications (by start date):
• 1-3 years fundraising experience, preferably in an educational setting.
• Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
• M.A. or equivalent international degree in Middle Eastern Studies.
• Ph.D. or equivalent international degree in fields of Near Eastern Studies, History, International Relations, Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Political Science, or any discipline with a regional focus on the Middle East and North Africa.
• Fluent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Near native-level written and oral communication skills in at least one of the four major Middle Eastern languages, viz. Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish.
• Interpersonal skills to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, visiting scholars, community groups, and foundation program officers.
• Experience living and/or working in the Middle East.
This is a one-year renewable, full-time (100%) position with a starting salary range commensurate with experience. UC Berkeley also offers an extensive benefits package; more detail can be found here: https://apo.berkeley.edu/resources/benefits-and-retirement
To apply, please upload your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae (required), a cover letter (required), 1-2 page writing sample (required) and contact information for 3 references (required) to:
We will seek your permission before contacting your references.
The position will remain open until filled. The anticipated start date of this position is January 31, 2019.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Please address inquiries to Mary Matambanadzo: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||Middle East History / Studies
Diplomacy and International Relations