Phillips Exeter Academy, History
|Institution Type:||Preparatory School|
|Location:||New Hampshire, United States|
REPORTS TO: Department Chair, History
STATUS/HOURS: Full time, 2019/20 academic year (10 months) schedule, including one week prior to the beginning of school.
The History Department is seeking to hire at least one full-time instructor beginning in the 2019-2020 academic year. Candidates with expertise in antiquity, global history and the history of the United States will be of particular interest. Candidates who can teach economics and the history of Asia, Africa, and Latin America are also encouraged to apply. The position will require teaching in at least two areas, one of which will likely include U.S. History. An advanced degree and three or more years of teaching experience are also preferred.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members generally include the following:
- Teaching: Faculty teach four classes per semester, and exercise great authority in academic and disciplinary matters. All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dorm life. Each faculty member generally is responsible for one weekend of dormitory duty per month and one to three weekdays of dormitory duty per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising: Faculty are generally expected to serve as a mentor to student advisees throughout the students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s parents and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- An advanced degree in history or closely related field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ teaching experience
- Proof of authority to work in the United States.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed every 3 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, gender, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, physical or mental disabilities or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
Please submit application materials via the Phillips Exeter Academy Website: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=PHILEXET&cws=37&rid=342
|Primary Category:||American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Ancient History
Asian History / Studies
Atlantic History / Studies
Economic History / Studies
Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies
World History / Studies